130pd turbo cutting out

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by las8v, Jun 1, 2011.

1. las8v New Member

Hi guys

I have a 2002, mk4 gt tdi with a 130pd engine. Last month, I had to have the turbo replaced as the original unit gave up the ghost. Replaced it with a reconditioned unit from AET and all seemed to be ok. Have not driven it much since the replacement although did a drive to Scotland and back in it with no problems. However, drove it to work last week and the turbo started cutting out on the motorway. Turning the engine on and off seemed to "reset" everything and the turbo would start working again for a period of time and then would cut out again (not sure if the common factor was time or engine revs).

Been having a look at some of the posts on the forum but struggling to get an idea of what could be going on with my car! Some are saying that the variable vanes could be getting stuck but I would be surprised if this would happen with a new turbo? Other suggestions have been hose leaks or faulty MAF. Would really appreciate if anyone has had a simar experience with a replaced turbo or may have an idea?

Many thanks.