16 v gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KEVS, May 29, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a mk3 8v DFQ 'box in my mk2 16v,it fits straight in.

As said above the ratios are different.

Depends whats wrong with your old gearbox really, some gearbox parts can be horrendous prices , I lost 5th gear on a mk2 16v once and the parts alone to repair were 200 (that's just the two gears,without the rest of the bearings etc)

2. KEVS Forum Member

I've got a mk3 8v DFQ 'box in my mk2 16v,it fits straight in....is that the 20 8v ?

great to here it fits ok .thats my 2nd option.

how did you get round the speedo cable fitting ?

did the ratio change make much difference to your drive ??
    Edited by: KEVS

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

mk3 2 litre 8valve or Seat Ibiza GTI 8 v.

The gearbox was already in the car but as far as UI can see you just fit the cable as per the mk2!

On an 1800 16v you'll find it a bit gutless compared to the 2Y box, the gears last about 1 week each.

I've got a 2 litre engine which helps, but the gears are still very long.

4. Broke Forum Member

The mounting of the speedometer drive gear is exactly the same, being driven from the output shaft inside the trans.
    It is a 15:7 ratio, using a 15T red drive gear on both the cable end, or the speedo sender unit for electronic speedometer.

*edit* -- I got a pic of the MK1, MK2, and MK3 speedo drive gears, which all fit the 020 the same way. White 16T from a 3.941 final drive MK1, red 15T from a 3.667 final MK2, and then a red 15T electronic unit from a 3.667 final from a MK3. The MK3 unit came from a CHE coded box, which was on a MK3 2.0L 8V (I think in the UK it is the ABF engine, here, it is the ABA block).
    [​IMG]
    The diff is just a pic of a diff with a bolt kit installed, the ring gear needs seated and the bevel gear shaft needs clipped...I was just checking the alignment of the bolts with the ring gear. I added it to the pic to make the gears less lonely :p

Broke
    Edited by: Broke

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

i paid exactly that about 3 weeks ago for mine. they had 2 in stock at the time and there were plenty of others i found for less than 200.

maybe you need to ring round a bit more?

6. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

hell just buy mine.

7. KEVS Forum Member

maybe you need to ring round a bit more?!!!!!!
    Not that many round here in yorkshire ! found 3 & there looking around 350/400 .

opened my box up today & found 2x crown wheel bolts out & theve come through the casing !!
    can i use a casing from another type of vw or are they
    only for the 2y box ???

8. GTI

GTI Forum Member

just trying to help dude

i got mine from wiltshire any had it delivered to edinburgh.
    all told, inc vat and delivery i paid 200.

you could give the same people a ring. they have a website: www.vwaudibreakers.co.uk, but like i said, there were pleny of others and they'll all deliver. have a search on www.yell.com. iirc there was a place near oulton park that had one in stock too. if you want i'll pm the list i made when i was looking. maybe they'll still be some available.

other than that, if my old box hasn't gone for scrap yet (i'd have to ring the garage that fitted the new one) you could have that for the cost of the delivery. the casing was fine.