16v brakes for 1.6 Driver

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mk2fan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. squibby Forum Member

While remaining neutral as to whether a tuned 1.6 8v could compete a standard 16v... I would like to encourage all to have a look at the large difference in weight between a 1.6 and a 1.8 16v. I haven't got my golf manual with me, but I think it says a 1.6 weighs 860Kg. A 16v weighs over 1050kg. The weight difference also makes the 1.6 handling more balanced. I wouldn't like to bet money on whether a standard 16v could out pace a highly modded 1.6.
    Edited by: Squib

2. mk2fan Forum Member

exactly :clap: my point precisely i'll most probably hav the same if not more talk then a 16v my top end wont be as good but lower down is sould have it

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

:lol:

Think you got your qeights fucked up there - no danger there is 200kg differnce, 50kg at a push maybe

And a 16v would kill a modeed 1.6 :)

4. squibby Forum Member

50kg at a push!!!??? Your mouth must weigh more then that!

I'll get back to you with the 'qeights' on wednesday after I have a look in the owners manual. probably not as much as 200kg difference, but more then about 130-135 kgs at least.

Fuel injection, 1.8 block, 2 camshafts, pumps, leccy windows...

5. FeastyVW Forum Member

This is a really funny topic. I've got a 1.6 Driver ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) I laugh at my own car.

I've got a full exhaust sys, manifold, webber, gti cam etc .... and it's still slow (comparatively, not 16v speed by any account) and it's cost a few quid!

Andy you are a little rude, have you ever owned a carb model????

mk2fan - get a valver lump and drop it mate. Ignore people who go on about wiring looms and it'll be a nightmare to change over from carbs, get a half decent mechanic and watch and learn.

But ignore me, this is getting funny.

Edited by: C-side VDub

6. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

Well my driver had a stock head, downpipe, and manifold, and i was running G60 brakes, and i will be running twin carbs, although i would swap tomorrow for a Webber Alfa kit [:D]

7. mk2fan Forum Member

pple ur not listing though i'm 17 and carnt get insured on a 16v thats why i'm doing t the way i am + it's to late now my head is off 2day to be bored out to 83mm bore which will give me 1740cc then port and polish,cam etc still to come [:D]

8. squibby Forum Member

You are oh soo right! Why does everyone always say "durhh, drop a slixteen vlaver in it matey"?

Isn't it obvious to any one with half a brain that a 16v implant will produce the same if not better performance then a modded 1.6 8v? I personally, along with (almost) everyone else on the forum would love to hear how the kind of mods mk2fan is proposing will transform the humble 1.6 carb. It will be a truly unique machine and I look forward to hearing your future threads now I know you are obviously serious about those mods. :thumbup:

9. prof Forum Addict

t**t you can't get insured on a 1740 driver either, the "modded" engine will be more than a 16v

and if you are thinking of not telling them then i'll come round and kill you now

10. squibby Forum Member

:lol:

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yes, both variants actually, 1.6 and 1.8 drivers, both modified :)

Still own one of them too :)

Prof, it appears he wont listen, a bored out 1.6 with twin carbs - i would guess he is assuming he is reboring to keep the original engine number and thinks twin carbs so he doesnt have to tell them about the upgrade.

I'm with prof on this one:)

Also as a side note - who ever told you to rebore is a feckin idiot, jus whack in the 1.8 crank, rods and pistons for an instant 1.8, no boring required :clap: :clap:

Did you not know the 1.6 block has 1.8 stamped on the back of it becasue they didnt cast a specific one for the 1.6?? :lol:
    Edited by: Andy947

12. mk2fan Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: you will come and KILL ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: thats the funiest thing i heard for a long time COME AND FIND ME THEN T**T
    Andy957 alrite we get your opinion on what iam doing and it's really anoying [:x] so JIP IT! [:D] + i'm not putting twin webbers on at the moment that will be nxt year so! i'm being told the best mods by a very very well trained mechanic so you are jst going to have to find out what it is like when it's done

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

You're still a thick cunt :)

14. mk2fan Forum Member

yeah may be but at least i'm not Scotish + why the f**k are you such c**nt to think you need to get out more rather then posting things most ppl dont listin to

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Learn to use punctuation you thick cunt. :)

16. Cleggstar Forum Member

nar mate, we got a chav here! :lol:

not having insurance is a ban-able offence? what happens if you crash? you will lose everything, get taken to court, etc etc, you know you even have to pay for road repairs if there is even a scratch on the road because of you.
    Edited by: Cleggstar

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Bl00dy hell wish I hadn't asked now :lol:

18. FeastyVW Forum Member

:lol: :lol:
    Don't stop

19. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

20. prof Forum Addict

we are not trying to pi55 you off just educate you.

If you crash your car with twin webbers on into someones mercedes, and the insurance company says we won't cover you because your ccar has been modified, then you will have to pay for the damage by yourself

just imagine paying for repairs to someones S class Merc

also if you want to go fast for little money fit a 2.0l or 16v engine it will cost less and go faster while using less fuel than your twin carbed motor

if you crash into my car without any insurance you will find your kidneys for sale on ebay to cover the damage