16v gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 45rugdub, Mar 11, 2004.

1. 45rugdub Forum Member

Anyone know where I can get my diff seal done in the south Yorkshire area on a mk2 golf 16v. I bought the seal to do it myself then realised you need a VW tool thing. Been to loads of garages but no one wants to do it. It's costing me a fortune in gearbox oil.

2. jake Forum Member

Simple, just get some stout looking circlip pliers and pop the joint off (make sure it doesnt whack you in the skull, it hurts [:$] ), when you've fitted the seal use a lever against the box casing and get a helper to hold the flange against the spring pressure while you drop the fresh circlip on (tricky, but easier if you file tiny notches into the ends of the clips where the pliers go)

I did my own and it wasnt easy but it was cheap!

3. 45rugdub Forum Member

Thanks for that, but most of the times when I try things like that my car ends up in loads of bits, never to go back togather for weeks. [:s]

4. jake Forum Member

Just had a thought.... if anyone has or has seen the VW type tool for doing the joints then a couple of measurements and a thread pitch specification and we're away. I for one would like to make the proper tool for the job so I dont get whacked in the head anymore. [8(]

5. quattro Forum Member

Did my flange seals last weekend - tig welded up my own tool made job a lot easier the thread is standard 10mm which I think is 1.5mm or 1.75mm pitch thread. I bought the threaded bar from Homebase of all places. Basicaly used some 5mm thick bar and made a "u" shape. Legs of the U were spaced so that they just fitted in side the flange and onto the surface where the cv joint goes. Drilled a hole in the middle to take the 10mm bar and used a nut to compress the flange.

if you havent got them already use new circlips as well I also used a bit of sealant to put round the edges of the rubber cap thatstops the gearoil from running back into the cv joint just to hold it in place better and to make sure it sealed. Im not much of a computer techie or I could take a photo of the tool and post it some where.

6. jake Forum Member

Cheers! :p
    I'll make one of them then (badly of course..)