16V Golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rob, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ROB

rob New Member

Hi,

I'm Rob - i live in Castleford and recently got myself a 97' 16v Mk3, around 2 months ago after realising my then current daily was ridiculous for commuting into Leeds.

I've been into VWs for a few years, i'm 25 - so factor that in to my patchy car history. I had a 6n, which i eventually painted bright green and wore through the fuel tank and floorpan before scrapping it.

[​IMG]

then i 'upgraded' to a 16v - with i've fully rebuilt, brakes all round, gearbox etc. I've had it stolen, and wheels taken - broken into twice but i can't seem to get rid of it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then this happened -

[​IMG]

grid, smash, airbags, windscreen broken, subframe and wishbone crushed. I got it all repaired with a new frame, 2 wishbones/balljoints - and raised it to a sensible height whilst i looked for something new. The polo is now sorn and for sale (sort of) in my back yard. My missus told me i had to grow up slightly...

so, on to the Golf. I wanted a VR, but i sort of settled with looking for a clean valver. It had to be a five door, so this one poped up the internet - close to home so i went to view it.

115k, completely standard ABF bar a vintage scorpion stainless system. Old chap owned it and had looked after it, only covering 160miles since previous MOTs (august 14/15). Cash changed hands and i took it home the same day.

[​IMG]

it obviously had a few bits up with it. Steering definitely feels more like being in control of a canal barge compared to my older tiny polos. Leccy window on the drivers side, i've changed twice now. Checked all the wiring, can't seem to chase the gremlin thats frying the drivers window.

[​IMG]

I did all the normal stuff, oil change etc. Got new wipers and plates, i loved how OE the car was. Had the belts done for piece of mind, the previous owner didn't have much paper work. New water pump, then i couldn't get the coolant to bleed properly for ages. I came across threads on here about the expansion tank pipe being blocked.

[​IMG]

TPS said the top hose was obsolete so i had to improvise and blow it out with an airline - bleed it up and i've had no issues since (touch wood)

Purchased coil overs from a friend, but i'm unsure whether to run these or go for a decent Koni/H&R spring set up. New Trackrod ends, ball joints and poly bushes (wishbone and droplink) These will all be refreshed once i get discs and pads for the front. It wants all new brake pipes on but they're not too bad, i do get OCD on things tho.

I'm no detailer, i just quick wash and waxed it this morning, doesn't come up bad - but i'm definitely looking at getting it painted this winter.

[​IMG]

And thats it so far, i want to get everything nice and refreshed - factory upgrades etc. Mot is due at the end of August, so hopefully i'll have everything sorted by then, its been welded and undersealed, the body is fairly clean - only wants two wings, i think if i loose the arch trims things could get a bit out of hand.

i'm also looking for a decent cup holder solution if anyone has one, i don't want the US one, it barely fit a tin of coke in. And decent road tyre recommendations - are yokohama prada 2's any good? i've been offered a new 195/50 set for peanuts, or will the low price reflect why?

Sorry for the life story!

Coakers, Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Welcome to our club :thumbup:
    Brilliant first post covered all the bases in one sweet hit , nice one Rob .

3. BISSONE Forum Member

I cant believe you have joined up with the username rob, how the hell is that still available lol. Looking tidy pal.

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Hi and welcome

Nice first post :thumbup:

Tyres would be worth buying if they are that cheap? If you don't want them I'd be interested ;)

5. Aaron A New Member

looks neat and tidy, good luck

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Excellent first post rob and welcome to Club GTI.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the top hose becomes an issue again one way round it is cut out the lumpy T joint bit between all the hoses and replace it with an upper radiator hose connector from a MK4 golf. Heres a piccy of what I mean, you can get them without sensors in as well :)
    [​IMG]

8. ROB

rob New Member

thanks all for the warm welcome!

cheers for that as well, i'm just keeping an eye on the water levels and temp for the time being.

postman came through today with a couple of bits;

[​IMG]

i'll be on with fitting this lot when i'm back from Belfast. (work perks)

9. Bolt-on New Member

nice car you have there rob. update us when you put those new parts on your car. by the way, welcome to the club

10. ROB

rob New Member

Got back from Ireland, thought i'd tackle a few annoying things on the Golf. So, i had an issue of the handbrake light being on constantly.

- Took apart the centre console, switch was fine under the handbrake.
    - Checked all the ABS rings, fine.
    - Checked the fluid level, sensor and plunger under the bonnet, fine.

[​IMG]

So, i took out the relay to the right of the dash - the bulb was blown. Once disconnected, the lamp on the dash went off.

Replacements were upwards of 30 quid, so sod that - i got a blank off eBay, only question now is - will it pass MOT (august) without the airbag light illuminating on ignition (obviously there isn't a bulb to illuminate any longer... anyone in the know?

[​IMG]

I do need to change the steering wheel, as the right hand side of it, twists around itself - this is something i've never come across. I'm not that arsed about keeping an airbag, but i don't really want a momo or any after market wheel for that matter, because it'll take away from my new found OEM obsession.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dunno if the photos show what i'm on about at all.

anyway, i spent all day cleaning it then it rained

[​IMG]

Got myself a couple of weeks off come august... hopefully get all the suspension bits done then!

Cheers.

11. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

The heat from the sun has ruined the steering wheel, or you just want to show of your tattoos [:D]

12. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The steering wheel in my Polo does the same, it's bloody annoying, but I don't drive it enough to care [:D]

Nice looking car though!

13. ROB

rob New Member

man its the key to likes online! get as much of your flesh on show as possible! #girlswithink #tattooedchicks [:D] haha

i was half cut in the street on sunday night, twisting my wheel round to try and show what i was on about! must of looked a right tool

Got stuck into my Polo this afternoon, hopefully have the little block on by tomorrow night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm sort of using it to teach myself more mechanical skills. I did however pop the aircon condenser and cover myself in coolant in the process but hey, learning is learning.

Rob.

Nige likes this.
  14. ROB

rob New Member

15. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

You can solder a suitable small 12v bulb to that small ABS circuit board, that is what I did with mine. I bought one from Halfords, but they will be cheaper elsewhere

16. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, Rob,

That's a '235 S' lamp module, isn't it?. I think I have a spare circuit board with bulbs still working somewhere. Or you could get an airbag-only module from the scrappy, either to use (if you get the wire harness too) or to source a bulb, which was also found in other Vw models at the time. But the 'S' version module has a linkage to the handbrake warning, as you've found, which lights the h/brake as well as the Abs warning if there's an Abs fault. So restoring the Abs warning may well leave the situation apparently worse, with both lamps lit.

Re. changing the steering wheel - I've had that loosening of the cover happen too. If you're not fussed about having an airbag, the early GL saloon 4-spoke non airbag wheel was a favourite of mine. Early Gti's had a 3-spoke design. At the other end of the age range is the mk.4 style wheel found in the late convertibles (prefix 'S' registration onwards), with its combined airbag/horn push (the airbag has a floating mounting, pushing the whole thing sounds the horn). And huge Vw badge.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  17. ROB

rob New Member

Thanks for the advice, for now i'm just running the blank - had no problems since and the mot went through without a hitch.

I ran the car very low for about 2 months and then got bored of it banging off the floor. Now raised back up to a sensible height, new toyo 195/50s on the standard VR wheels. much better to drive.

[​IMG]

I'm currently in the process of replacing all the plastic arches and sill covers, costly but necessary.

i got rid of the fart cannon

[​IMG]

did the brakes

[​IMG]

its now booked in for the front polybushes, rear beam bushes and 4 wheel alignment on a hunter system. The 'stance' period i went through has left the camber and tracking all over the place.