16v Grunt in a Mk1.....?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Markus 1us, Jan 16, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

I'd give you a go :lol: :lol:

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i think yours might be a 2.1......

3. Markus 1us Forum Member

thanks alot for all replies, the best course of action seems to shove a 2.0 16v abf code engine in. Plenty of cheap mk2 16v's about, but what are the possible sources for the mk3 2.0 16v lump? I want the whole car so that i don't have to buy loads of odds and sods when doing the conversion. Mk3 is L reg to N, is this right? nice one

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

the 9a (or 6a) short block 2.0 16v conversion is a better fit than the tall block abf.

5. ViCk Forum Member

You do have to undertake more modifications to make an ABF fit in a Mk1, it's all a choice of what 2.0 16v engines are available to you and at what price.

6. ViCk Forum Member

Mk3 Golf 16v's were available up untill 1998(R) Reg I think. ABF engines were also available from the Seat Cupra R Sport (where I got mine from).

7. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I ran a 1800 16v in a mk1 a few years ago using a 1600 gearbox the best time i did was 14.98 standing quarter. They are a right hoot to drive but feel a bit dull low down compared to the 1800 8v , depends on your driving style really i prefer the 16v myself , its like driving a turbo car with lag
    Edited by: dUff

8. Insan3 New Member

What other mods do you have to do Vick, to get the engine in, i was looking at getting the engine from a 2.0 16v passat, say M reg. Would this fit.. :)

(Message from Markus 1us from mates computer)

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

the 9a in the passat was fitted from 88 to 93.
    with the abf i think you have to lengthen the exhaust manifold/downpipe.and i think theres problems with clearance when you shut bonnet,due to being tall block.

10. Markus 1us Forum Member

I've been really thick, what Nickvw suggested was a 2.0 bottom end and an 8v head. What i thought he meant was a 2.0 crank...(I'm sorry, don't know how i came to that conclusion!!). So, would i be able to put my mk1 8v head on a 2 litre block and save on the wiring loom adventures! Skimmed and refurbed naturally. Started off wanting to do a 16v but I think I would miss the low rev punch(being tight on petrol!). Have learnt loads from everyone, please keep advice coming, engine change imminent (170000, strong as an ox, but rattles like Jimmy Saville)

11. GTI

GTI Forum Member

the 3A 2.0 8v block from varoius Audi's will fit your 8v head. This is quite a common conversion, search the forum on that one.

the passat is the perfect donor for the 2.0 16v conversion and will have plenty of torque.

12. Rahul Forum Junkie

depends what you want at the end of the day but i can't believe for one moment that a 16v is a relaxed drive for 'everyday' usage!

My 2litre 8v is very quick but its not going to be an m3 beater. Depends what you want.

In your case, the conversion seems ideal. Your bottom end is on its way out. the bottom end will mate perfectly onto the mk1 cylinder head. Get a bottom end which has the code 2E, ABA, AGG, AWG( cross flow head!) or AWF.
    While your head is off, get it ported by your friendly machinist. The only annoying thing may be a couple of bolts which need to be sheared off on the tops of cylinders near where the head bolts are.
    get some high lift cams and you will be laughing!

13. Markus 1us Forum Member

AArrgh, so many choices. Cabriorags 150 bhp with plenty of torque sounds nice. Doesn't matter if its not an M3 beater as we all know even the latest M3 is based entirely on the MK1 GTI!! However.... it MUST be, repeat MUST be quicker than a Civic type R. I'm absolutely serious about this. I read a thread that said you could get a subframe to put the Passat 2.0 16v engine in so that the bonnet would shut. Another person said that as long as you got the throttle body on the back, rather than the top of the inlet, then the bonnet would shut fine. Can anyone clarify this for me please.

14. GTI

GTI Forum Member

The Passat engine is a short block and has no clearance issues at all. This is the one to get. The 2.0 16v is a dream to drive at any speed and has more of everything than the 8v. This is (IMHO) the best conversion for a Mk1.

The ABF is the tall block (Mk3 Golf, Seat Cupra) and does have clearance issues with the throttle body. The digipants injection system on the Mk3 uses a throttle body with the cable attaching underneath (or is it on the side?) rather than on top (as with the K-jet). If you don't use the digi throttle body you can't close the bonnet.

15. ViCk Forum Member

Mine will be running Digi also, is there much of a performance difference than using K-Jet ?

16. zak. Forum Member

vick what does your car look like? Is it mars red with bbs rm's by any chance?

17. ViCk Forum Member

Yep, with no side strips. How u know ?

18. Tommy Forum Member

I'd go with that :)

19. unzippy Forum Member

I have a MK1 with a 9A in Piccy
    I'm looking for more power (aren't we all ;) )

It has been suggested to me that ditching the k-jet stuff and going for the ABF injection system + emerald management would get me around 200ish bhp

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Not on it's own Zip!

You need a flowed head and cams before changing the management ;)

Barny on here has a ported head on his 2 litre ABF with a pair of Schrick 276 cams has seen 199.5bhp at Stealth the other Sunday

Still on K-JET!

Mappable system will give better drivability/idle than the K-Jet tho.

My 9A 16v has as much mid range torque as a 2 litre 8v with big valve head and cam, so is VERY driveable on the road.
    ;)
    Edited by: G_V_K