16V KR ecu sender wire

Discussion in '16-valve' started by gti_kev, Nov 2, 2005.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

What does the blue/white (for the ecu/ign module) wire going to the temp sender on the side of the head control?

As it makes no difference if it connected or not (and the temp sender is new and tested fine)

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

it should be for timing i believe.

retards the timing when hot maybe??

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mine cuts out if you disconnect one of the senders, think it's the blue/white actually [:s]

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

i tried mine without the blu/wht wire today...still revved its nuts off

btw i pm's crasher/the brain/steve from c&r regarding the revving thing and he's not bothered replying..cheers for that

5. MillSpeed Forum Member

Yeah, it helps the ECU to decide how much advance to use along with engine speed and vacuum. Doesn't seem to make much differnce whether it's connected or not mind.

6. PaulM Forum Member

mine the same, disconnect it makes no diff

7. gti_kev Forum Member

I always thought that on the kr nothing retarded the timing, that was only on a digi?

I did feel like it a alot smother ride between gears etc, but i have put this down to my brain thinking it, you when your a kid and get new trainers you can run faster :) LoL

MillSpeed - you sorted yours yet ot have you sold it :)

pigbladder - try disconnecting the vacume off the saucer thing on the airbox and block the pipe up, see if that helps?? As i know it's for cold start enrichment i believe or/and disconnect the electrical connection!

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

im pretty sure you should lose your tickover if the blue/white wire is disconnected?

9. gti_kev Forum Member

you mean it should cut out?

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,well it should run but not tickover,i cant feckin remember why though,memorys fecked! [:x] :lol:

11. MillSpeed Forum Member

kev - still got the old b*tch and it's still not running right! Got myself a beaten up Caddy to replace it but it's turned out to be a bit of a rotter...nothing's easy is it?
    Anyways, mine idles quite happily with the temp sensor disconnected, I wonder what that means?

12. gti_kev Forum Member

I have no idea mate, been looking all over the place - no answrs, someone will know here for sure just got to be patiant! or if it is to do with the timing why do people get different results with it disconnceted??

Maybe it is pointing to another problem?

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

kev have u tried disconecting any of the other 2 wires...see if it does anything

14. gti_kev Forum Member

Yes mate

The other 2 are the red/black (isv)the car just runs at around 250rpm bearly and the yellow one is just for the temp gauge!

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

On mine if you disconnect one of the three temp sender wires it stalls, think it's the blue/white one too. How odd that people have different results! Might depend whether the car is still warming up and therefore on cold running cycle sort of thing, I did a lot of reading about this when I had cold start probs but have since forgotten most of it! [:$]

16. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

The timing will be advanced a few degrees from normal at cold idle, this is basically the only thing the temp sensor would be used for on an ignition box. Once the engines up to temp disconnecting it shouldn't do much.

17. gti_kev Forum Member

Mine does not seem to do anything from cold!! or hot !!

Stu - it must be the red/black wire that makes it stall as that is for the isv!

Also the thermotime switch seems to have no effect when that is unplugged also??

are the thermotime and ecu wire required to work together somehow and a break in one of the leads may result in both not working?

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

kev ,tried mine with yeelow wire off...still revved and then instead of going to a nice idle it chugged a bit then cleared up

19. gti_kev Forum Member

I am sure i read somwhere that the yellow wire is not just for the temp gauge, it must have some influence over something else!

I'll try it also!

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nah, it only does the gauge - I took mine off today to check the sender and forgot to put it back on before I drove off. 20 miles, no difference in performance, but the temp gauge and LED went mad as the wire waved around between being totally earthed, earthed to the sender connection, and open circuit.