16v Kr poor coldstart

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by 16vkrNL, Aug 8, 2023.

1. 16vkrNL New Member

my 16 valver has a hard time starting from cold. ive noted that priming the pump 4-5 times makes the car instantly start. ive also tried starting with the wur disconnected and priming 4-5 times and the car starts instantly.

Car starts instantly when hot without any issues. also runs very well when hot

My main suspect is either the fuel accumulator or the fuel pump check valve. Even then, i had replaced the pump 1,5 years ago.

other things which have been done:
    -New fuel pumps
    -New injectors
    -New fuel lines
    -New coil
    -New sparkplugs
    -New + and - terminal wires
    -New dizzy rotor + cap
    -New battery
    -remade engine loom (and tested)
    -new relay's
    -cleaned out the fusebox corroded pins

Anyone has any tips on how to narrow this down? im not sure how i can test the accumulator since i cant take it appart.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  2. watercooled Forum Member

Sounds like you aren't retaining system pressure ?,thats a lot of priming and it seems strange it ok when warmed up ?.
    Did you replace the fuel filter ?.
    My have an accumulator issue but it still starts after one full prime even after sitting for sometime,I turn the key to "on" position till pump stops then start it ,if it is a no start I prime once more but not often.
    Have you done a full k-jet tune as listed in engine section.
    Sorry but out of further idea's,cheers.

3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Accumulator is primarily to aid hot starting which you mention is ok for your car. For cold staring I’d be looking initially at the cold start injector and it’s associated circuits both fuelling and electrics. There’s a good tutorial on YouTube that explains that whole system.

4. 16vkrNL New Member

Disconnected the cold start and it sprays a nice cone for a few secs. ive never had the coldstart connected since its never needed the 5th injector to start. its quite sudden that it struggles to start. i tried starting today, this time with the 5th injector connected but it made no difference. ill try again in 6 hours, since it will start instantly within that time frame. only struggles to start after a couple of hours.

fuel filter is a good idea, ill try that. pressure seems to dissapear completly after 6 hours. car is fine once it starts and is warmed up. kjet tune had been done by a garage quite some time ago but the problem only started recently.

5. Martin 16v Forum Member

Undo the 16mm pressure relief valve (note fuel will come out)
    There is a O ring nearest the head end, if this seal is worn or worse it'll divert fuel back to tank preventing the system pressure being built up sufficiently to start.

Attached Files: