16v Manifolds Difference

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Chaps, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Chaps Forum Member

Looking for a manifold to suit a 16v Mk1/Scirocco so I went on ETKA to compare the part numbers.

16v Scirocco exhaust manifold = 027 253 031 AB
    16v Mk2/Mk3 Golf manifold = 027 253 031 BH

Do you think there will be a difference between the two? Do you think you could use a mk2 16v manifold with a custom downpipe? Could be a cheaper alternative to having to buy a 4branch one.

Chaps

2. danster Forum Addict

Scirocco inlet manifold has the throttle body aiming towards the nearside of the car, whereas the mk2 golf one is aiming towards the offside.:thumbup:

Edit. ahh exhaust manifolds doh!

You can make mk2 type useable by modding the scirocco downpipes but it is a bit of a job to do nicely.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Scirocco exhaust manifold has the downpipe connector dead in the center of the manifold. The Golf ones are offset to the right side of the car.

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Danster, he's talking about the exhaust manifold.

The Scirocco 16V cast exhaust manifold ("...AB" part number) is quite different from the Golf MK2 16V item in that the downpipe flange is more in the centre, rather than being offset.

It so happens that I just bought a Scirocco 16V exhaust manifold from the US via eBay because it'll come in handy for my 16V Syncro conversion (the location of the flange will make it easier to get around the propshaft). They are pretty rare and I've only seen them for sale on eBay.com or Vortex.

Edit: Damn that Toyo beating me to it! :-)

5. Trev16v

A comparison picture I stole from Vortex a few weeks ago when I was looking into this:

[​IMG]

6. danster Forum Addict

Yeah I clocked that moments after submitting post.:thumbup:

I have modded a mk2 type exhaust manifold which is offset to the ns as you say to work though. It does take a bit of effort to do neatly but I would still think it is better than the Ashley conversion ones you get. They are pants. Different length primaries on all the runners and melted steering boot thrown in for free!
    Think there is a reasonable one available on ebay that is similar to the Supersprint one though.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Except you put the pictures which says all really.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ashley, Dubpower or Supersprint, are the off the shelf options, depending on budget.

If you take a Mk2 16v golf manifold, a Mk2 6 bolt downpipe, and a Mk1 downpipe, you should be able to put the two together, if you're handy with a welder. Measure twice, cut once ;)

9. Chaps Forum Member

The reason I asked in the first place was that there is a 16v Rocco exhaust manifold on ebay at the moment and I wasnt sure if there was a difference. 50 seems alot though without a downpipe even though they are rare..

10. danster Forum Addict

It would make life a lot easier though.:thumbup:

11. Chaps Forum Member

I'll keep my eyes on it then!
    As always, thanks for the quick and very helpful responses.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you're capable of making something like this, its diy-able with a std MK2 manifold. the kink is to avoid the gear linkage, even with it like that mine still hit so i chopped a bit out of it. the scirocco 16v linkage comes pre-modded like this, but unfortunately they're discontinued. It kinda has a kinked round end on it, tricky to explain. If you go cable shift non o that is an issue :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I wouldn't sell one for 50. Double it and I might think about it.

14. Trev16v

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I'v sold rocco 16v exh manifold at ultimate dubs earlier this year for 60 and that was a give away!

16. Trev16v

Yeah, I was sooo tempted to bid on that one just because it was going quite cheap. But I'm bloody terrible for buying parts just because they're cheap, even though I've already got another one - just so I have a spare on the shelf or something. Managed to restrain myself though :lol:

17. danster Forum Addict

Together we can beat this hellish affliction. :thumbup:
    I relapsed this week though and bought more bits.[:^(]
    Realistically, how old will I be by the time I blow up more than 10 engines and destroy the 15 gearboxes I currently have as "spares"?[:s]

18. Chaps Forum Member

no i missed the end of the auction! not to worry, worst case i'll mod a mk2 manifold /downpipe like you have jonny but looking a getting a 4 branch now.

and @ danster.... Don't know mate, not a bad collection your gathering though! :clap: