16v Mk3 GTI probs...

Discussion in '16-valve' started by SmartRRs, Jun 6, 2011.

1. idlirp Forum Member

i searched around for abf measuring blocks. nothing really helpful. this mainly because the figures that vcds shows does not correspond in the right order as in the ELSA. measuring blocks and range are shown for the old VAG 1551 diagnose tool and the fault table looks different compared to the blocks in vcds ( i got the v805.1). i did a full test for every block from idle to flooring to the highest rpm, and i can post them as you wish. maybe we can compare them and try to read them coorectly. thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. idlirp Forum Member

thanks johnny, i read this thread before, but the value order in the lbl file is the same as in the ELSA. i have some "strange" figures shown at the read measure blocks section in VCDS. also tried many times in many ways adopting the lbl file but the option sometimes was not highlighted. maybe thats a software problem.
    we are talking about the "channel" figures, right?

4. SmartRRs New Member

Just as a matter of possible interest, when I rev the car up slowly in neutral it goes way beyond the 4-5k rev range but if I blip the accelerator to rev up it splutters at about 4500. Any possible clues in that?
    I have a laptop and may consider a vag lead.

5. SmartRRs New Member

Ive looked at vag-com leads on Ebay, they vary in price. What would be a reasonable price?
    And where would I plug it in on the car?
    Thanks for any answers.
    Someone suggested if it revs up way beyond 4.5k when slowly revved up, it could be the lambda?

although a garage reckons they checked this for faults.
    I bought a new battery yesterday, the old one had been on seven years, it certainly starts quicker now!

6. SmartRRs New Member

Ive bought a vag-com lead from Ebay, it comes with an unreg copy of Ross-Tech software, (it sez on the ad)
    so when it arrives Im gonna search for where you plug it in on the car and see what happens....:thumbup:

7. rubjonny

idlirp: can you install vag-com on your laptop or is it win 7 x64?

smart: if you suspect lambda, just unplug the 4 pin plug near the rear engine mount and try

8. idlirp Forum Member

i've installed xp 32bit just for the vag com application. it is strange, earlier versions like 409.1 work with W7, mine wont. im gonna "play" today with the extra features and gonna post the readings.

9. idlirp Forum Member

these are the "channels".
    i ve measured them revving from idle to 3000-3500rpm.

channel 800rpm ...2000rpm ... 3500rpm ...
    1 -------------- 79 55 50 30
    2 -------------- 165
    3 -------------- 0
    4 -------------- 3 2 1 7 8 9
    5 -------------- 8 7 8 7 7 8 8 8
    6 -------------- 30
    7 -------------- 0
    8 -------------- 0
    9 -------------- 0
    10 ------------ -
    11 ------------ 255
    12 ------------ 240 150 140
    13 ------------ 225 170 140
    14 ------------ 7 12 10 5
    15 ------------ 30 250
    16 ------------ 0
    17 ------------ 60 40 20
    18 ------------ 60 250

these are strange values but if anyone could try translating them... do you get the same values from your abf's?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. rubjonny

whats that in 409.1 or vcds?

11. idlirp Forum Member

these are the "single readings" (after the measuring blocks) in VCDS.
    question. the temperature shown in the meas blocks is never the same with the one shown in the temp gauge in the dash. modern vw's have another section, coolant temperature. i presume the temp shown iin vcds in my abf is the oil temp (its the same as in MFA oil temp). we all know the ECU reads the coolant temp, but how come in VCDS it says 90'C and the gauge shows 70'C? i dont think its a faulty gauge cos i have also changed the entire dashboard.

12. rubjonny

the measuring block shows the coolant temp as read by the ecu temp sensor in the head, the 2 pin white one. the dash reads the temp from the single pin black sensor in the side of the head. they sjhouldnt be that far out though, sounds like one of them is reading wrong. next time check the mfa display, see which one its more close to

13. SmartRRs New Member

Well, I got my vag-com cable and cant use it.
    My laptop is windows 7 home premium, and according to various sages, it'll only work with
    w7 pro or ultimate, FFS......

14. rubjonny

if it works in pro or ultimate, it will work in premium. unless they mean you have to run it under windows xp mode, which is pro/premium only. the problem is the drivers i think, if you have 64bit OS you cant get cable drivers or something?

you can still download and install virtual pc, just you dont have an XP licence. fine if you have your own 'legal' copy of xp that you can install yourself ;)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_...ws-virtual-pc-on-windows-7-home-editions.aspx

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  15. idlirp Forum Member

thanx jonny you are right! there are two seperate senders. i checked elsa. i was wondering, there is a newer 4pin sensor used in the later mk3s. 2 pins are temp senders, couldnt it be used in digifant? the housing is ready.
    (sorry for being a bit off-topic)

16. rubjonny

the 8v mk3s use a 4 pin sender, its still 2 separate temp senders inside it though, one for ecu one for dash. they're just built into the same unit is all.

afaik you can use a 4 pin sensor on an abf if you fit the abf+aircon side flange and splice the 4 pin plug on. but why would you want to in all honesty, the oem 2 pin and 1 pin senders are just fine?

17. idlirp Forum Member

only the 1 pin gauge sender. im supposing it is a little faulty as the reading from vagcom is different from the gauge. it is steady 90'C meanwhile the gauge shows 70'C. i searched the local market for a new one but couldnt find any. i already have a 4pin one from a 8v engine. i see that one of the 2 pins should be connected to earth and the other one to the sender, right?

18. idlirp Forum Member

can anyone measure the 1 pin resistence (in ohms) @90'C?

19. rubjonny

20. SmartRRs New Member

I got the vag-com cable working at last.... 3 faults found:
    ABS, wheel speed sensor rear left. (no wonder the ABS light doesnt come on?)
    Engine coolant temp sensor. (G62). 00522.
    Cylinder 1 recognition sensor. (G145). 00740. No signal/intermittent.

So, would either of the last two faults cause the revs to falter at 4-5K?
    If so I might have cracked it at last!
    Amazing, the cable cost next to nowt, and found faults, and the garage I took it to originally
    reckons his diagnostic set-up cost a grand and found no faults.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011