16v turbo info needed

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Matt G, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Matt G Forum Member

i plan to get an 8v soon with the intention of running the 8v engine for a couple of years or so while i bulid a 1.8 or 2.0 16v turbo engine.

my question is can anyone please tell me the list of parts i would need to complete this. im not after ultimate power, just maybe around the 200bhp level if this is easily possible.

any help is greatly appreciated as this will be my first propper project.

2. Matt G Forum Member

no one got any idea's? someone must have built a 16v turbo.

3. mk2madman Forum Member

Ere the reason youve got no replys is you question is very general!!
    Several people have built one or are building one
    there is a big difference when building a 1.8 or 2.0.
    try and be a bit more specific

also the list of parts woudl be very long!
    Try using the search function

4. Matt G Forum Member

ah reet, didnt know there was such a big difference. soz.

ok, say for example i want to build a 2.0 turbo, anyone know what parts i would need to uprate on the standard engine, and what parts i need to collect extra?

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I may be taking the 16vG60 conversion kit off my car if you fancy going down the Supercharged route?

6. Matt G Forum Member

i appreciate the offer, but this is a long term idea, not looking to source the parts just yet, im just trying to get a feel for what i would need to get hold of. the 2.0 16v engine being the first bit.

thanks for the offer tho.

7. prof Forum Addict

for 200bhp then a vr6 would be way way cheaper

8. Matt G Forum Member

your right, i thought about it, and its another option, but im just wondering how do-able the turbo option is. gunna buy an 8v and maybe stick a 2.0 bottom end on to pootle about in at first (i got one in the garage!). then work on the engine to be-that is the plan anyhow.

9. mk2madman Forum Member

Again your giving us very little info ?

is the car kjet or digipants?
    What year?

Most Important Whats your budget?
    And what are your skills?

10. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

2.0 16vt is pretty taxing to do i can tell you, there is a lot of fabrication involved. If you want info speak to TSC, Stefcasscar or myself:)

11. benny Forum Member

Very generally, the killer (expensive) things you are going to need are.

The turbo itself - second hand ones are a minefield
    Pistons - if you want real power one day
    Manifold - has to have the correct flange for the turbo to mate to
    Intercooler - G60 ones are not a bad bet
    Piping - you are going to need to have at least 10 or so 90 bends, you can either get this out of mandrel bent exhaust tubing (heavy) or the ally stuff off eBay can be cheap. If you make the joints from silicone couplers, make sure you get them after payday - it mounts up! You'll probably need a few reducers and special sized ones that you forgot about...
    Fueling - This could kill it! Depends on what sort of injection you are going to use - either way think $$$
    Oil Lines - You'll need a supply & return - you have to return via a hole in your sump
    Downpipe - This can be a bit of a bugger if you aren't a welder
    Head gasket set - & don't forget the sump gasket too, maybe a good time to put in a windage tray (more $)

There is more it than just that too! If you find a full kit second hand for a good price, I would look at it seriously. Make sure you read up on turbo's in advance.

The bottom line from my point of view is plan for more than 200 bhp otherwise it's a whole heap of cash for something that wont stand out from the crowd not saying that is what you want anyway, but what I'm trying to say is it wont be that mind blowingly fast for the cash spent :(

Have a good idea of what you might want with regard to out right power in the long term - this can affect which turbo you choose from the outset.

Also know the integrity of your base engine.

If you have the cash burning a hole - go for it!! Much fun to be had.

I can throw in more input if this is what your looking for in an answer. I prolly missed a few pointers, but it's a start.

Clutch..... Gearbox......[8D]

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

StealthWagon`s got a very healthy 16vT, got to be worth a pm.

13. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Ahhh yes i forgot about neil. He has just had a lot of work done on it too, still like that car a lot

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You've also got to ake the engine apart and lower the compression ratio. So that means different pistons or different rods, or spacing the head (not the best idea).

15. Matt G Forum Member

hmm sounds like it might be cheaper to get a 20v turbo conversion done by a pro. didnt really wanna do that tho as was looking to do something different. only looking for around 200bhp, might save the pennies for 20vt.

16. rajmirch Forum Member

absolutely nothing wrong with spacing the head to lower the C/R, mines done a few thousand miles incuding a nonstop blast to mania, 4 up traveling at between 80/120 with no probs what so ever.

17. Forced4 New Member

Exactly, I didn't want to fall into the Cookie Cutter "go to a shop and pay for a 1.8T Swap" Like everybody else, so I went and expressed some individuality but doing this.....

[​IMG]

As stated earlier, it was a tonne of work, but now that it's up and running, and there isn't another 16vT MK3 Anywhere near me, I've got one Unique Car, That I have the Honour of Saying I did it myself, and She's one hell of a fun drive [:D]

I find all the advice posted above to be true, and I really think you'll get bored of 200bhp real quick, so build it keeping a higher target hp in mind. You'll have an added safety factor when you're pushing 200hp, and when you get bored, which you will, you'll have room to grow.

I say do it, but be prepared to work your ass off. With the only reward being the satisfaction of a successful DIY Job, and lots of fun aftarwards.

18. rajmirch Forum Member

Very true , especially the last bit. I cant wait to get my Clutch and brakes on so that i can have some propper fun. I had it at .5 bar at first and soon got bored with that (aprox 200bhp) then went to .7 (230) and now want more than the 1 bar (260bhp) that i'm running at!!!! addictive isnt the word!!!

a few pics of my bay incase you missed them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  19. Matt G Forum Member

Thanks For The Advice, I Really Appreciate It. Whats The Reliability Like For The 16v Turbo, As It Will Be My Daily Driver.

20. Forced4 New Member

Ahhhhh, That my Friend is a loaded question :)

That's totally dependant on a million little factors, and they all come down to build quality.

I Officially finished my car in the Middle of July, Got it on the road, and running half decent, by the time I've tuned it, and worked the bugs out of it, I'm only now, Aug 22 Comfortable Driving it everyday if I had to. The only thing really stopping me is I'll get like 250kms to a tank of 94octane fuel, which is **** poor. So to answer your question....

If you take your time, and select the right components, upgrade the parts that will fail with added power, (See Transmission/Axles) and Make sure you've double checked everything, You should have a fairly reliable Daily, but if you cut corners, You'll be asking for trouble. Remember "The Devil is in the Details" That statement holds sooooooo true when taking on a project like this. Ultimately, It's be easier to have a Reliable 1.8T, But you still have to worry about the tranny. Also, Another thing I've learned, No matter what the circumstances are, Do not, heavily modify your daily, regardless of what it is, You'll be asking for trouble. If you have to, get a cheap beater, but if you only have one, and you break somehting late at night, or after hours, how ****ed are you gonna be in the morning when you can't go to work? Just some food for thought.