18" Monzas

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Sven33, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Sven33 New Member

I have an '07 plate with 18" Monzas. I've got a bad scratch on one wheel & another has started to go white along one edge (strange description , I know - but if you're familiar with it, you'll know what I mean). I'd like to get the two wheels repaired/re-sprayed, but have been quoted 125 +vat per wheel. I know Monzas aren't quite as straightforward to re-spray, but can anyone tell me if that's a reasonable price ? I live in Wimborne, Dorset - so if you can recomend anyone in Poole /Bourneouth , that would be good....

Sven

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The white marks you are seeing is where the laquer has been scratched, and water has gotten in and corroded the alloy (just on the surface. Nothing to worry about `structurally`)

The Monzas have a `diamond-cut` finish. That`s where the face of the wheel has been machined to give that distinct texture, then laquered over the top, so is a bit more complicated than just getting them sprayed. The face would need to be re-cut (a light skim really) to restore the finish, then re-laquered, hence the high, but pretty standard, cost and difficulty in finding someone who can do it.

If you didn`t want to keep the diamond-cut finish, then they could be sprayed/powder coated more traditionally for around 50 a wheel at any decent wheel refurbishers, but it would be a shame to lose that finish...

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Have you found anywhere to do the refurb locally Sven? Where was it that gave you that quote out of interest?

The reason i ask is that we're just up the road from you and my dads wheels have suffered the same fate. We spoke to a place in fordingbridge (wheelworx) a while ago now but i think the price was very similar.

If you find anything promising/cheaper please let me know as 500+ on a refurb is difficult to stomach especially when its prone to reappearing due to the delicate nature of the finish

4. Sven33 New Member

Thanks to both of you for the replies - appreciated. The quote I got was from a garage in Bournemouth who specalise in wheel repairs, but I'm afraid I can't recall the name offhand (I just googled alloy wheel repairs in Poole /Bournemouth & they were the first on the list, from memory !) Because they said they' d need the car for a week, I'm probably going to get the job done in Bath (where I can leave it with family) when I'm away on holiday - but prices are pretty much the same there as well. As you say beaniegti, it's a lot of dosh to spend on something that's effectively only cosmetic. I'm glad I've only got the two to do....

5. DaleR32 New Member

just as a price guide i had all four 18" monzas refurbed 2 months ago by the polished wheel company in cornwall.
    they done an amazing job, 100% factory finish and charged me 310 all in. they even turned them round in 24 hours.

6. mkviken New Member

7. mkviken New Member