Discussion in '8-valve' started by B.T.i, May 17, 2009.

1. B.T.i New Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. chunkymunkey New Member

i think youll find the crank pulley timing mark will be on the ribbed/v-belt pulley that bolts onto the cambelt/crank pulley, this will be a groove cut out of the edge closet to the cambelt cover, it will line up to a mark on the plastic cover. the lug you have pointed out on the crank pulley is to make sure you line up the next pulley correctly.

the arrow at the cam should line upto the mark on the camshaft pulley giving you TDC at cylinder 1 (left most cylinder).

hope that helps abit :)

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

There should be a mark on the other side of the cam pulley, which lines up with the top of the head at the front.

If you have a workshop manual, it should show you that stuff.

As mentioned above, the V-belt pulley that bolts onto the cam belt sprocket, has the timing mark on it. You can bolt it back on temporarily, to set the timing. The other way is to use the TDC dot on the flywheel. The bolts are offset, so the pulley only goes on one way.

It also helps if you highlight the timing marks with paint or tippex, to make it easier to spot them.

Bear in mind that the crank does two full turns for every turn of the cam, so make sure the cam is in the right position when the crank is at TDC.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

use the flywheel mark if possible to line up the bottom end, more accurate. the cam sprocket should have an OT mark like the one circled on the intermediate shaft (what you called the distributor axle), the fact it does not suggests its the wrong one or its fitted the wrong way round.

5. B.T.i New Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

awesome :thumbup: