1981 mk1 golf project (1.6 8v, twin 40 DCOE's)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by gelstharp, Dec 6, 2013.

1. gelstharp New Member

Hello,
    iv just recently bought a 1981 MK1 GTI after selling my 1967 beetle
    heres a couple of pictures of the beets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now for the Mk1, got some big plans for it but nothing dramatic will happen untill winter time just enjoying driving it at the moment =]

Little SPEC list
    1981 mk1 golf gti
    1.6 fuel injection engine with lightend fly wheel, inlet manifold, pipercross panel filter and some make of exhaust (which needs to be changed)
    body work is in pretty decent condition only rust is on the driver side rear arch, faded and some small dents
    interior is spotless
    currently lowered on 40mm spax springs and dampers

since owning it iv flushed and cleaned the raidiator, done an oil change, re done all the timing on the engine

I also got another engine with the sale which is in my lock up. iv been told its a brian ricketts engine (trade mark blue engine block) but i need to do some serious digging before i start saying it is

future plans are to get all body work and a respray done over winter,
    get some G60 front brakes as mine are shocking, braided brake lines etc
    rebuild and fit my other engine,
    and probably many other things.

this is how i bought it-
    [​IMG]

it was quite faded when i got it (cant expect anything less from an old red car) so me and a mate spent one night claying and detailing the sh*t out of it to try and get some colour back, also 3 out of 4 of the tyres were pretty much illegal so got a set of Toyo T1R's. while the tyres were getting fitted i still needed to drive the car so put my old Porsche Teledials on it. they will look alot better once coilovers are on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after washing the car i took the bumpers off because they were in a sorry state (paint was peeling) so i got some wrinkle paint and painted them up as best i could.

[​IMG]

a couple of pictures without the bumpers on ... i rather like the no bumpers look. also had to cable tie the indicators and plate on as it was missfireing quite badly so the timing had to be changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got my hands on a single headlight grill so fitted the grill and pit the bumpers back on
    [​IMG]

got the BBS back and this is how it currently looks

[​IMG]

i then ordered some AP coilovers and my mate fitted them at his work (ramps make for an easier life)

here some pictures

old SPAX stuff

[​IMG]

in the air (poor photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres some rubbing, didnt get any rubbing on the arches just on the coil over where the offset washer hadent been turned enough lovely burning smell

[​IMG]

i didnt want it to low as i intend on driving this car quite hard any dont want to smash anything on the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one last picture of me trying to get my adaptors off by myself

[​IMG]