1983 MK1 GTI Drive Shafts / CV's

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Zender Z20, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I previously bought a pair of SKF ready built up left / right drive shafts for the MK2.

Pleased with them so went for the same again for the MK1, however only the left one (short) can currently be bought built up and ready to fit, complete with CV's etc.

It's looking possible the right hand pre-assembled one (long) may now be discontinued as they don't appear to be available anywhere, including via SKF themselves.

I've spoken to them to see if this is the case or will they come back into production, but yet to get a reply... I'm in no immediate hurry, but in the mean time am sounding out my options.

The above is just the background as to why I'm asking the following, and the same questions are probably true of any brand, so ignore that I'm after SKF.

So... I can still readily get the inner and outer SKV CV's on their own and both my original bare drive shafts are in 100% condition / reusable.

Having said that the reason I went for the built up short one was bizarrely it worked out (significantly) cheaper than just getting the CV's on their own / my hands dirty, go figure!

From their own site it appears the inner / outer CV's aren't sided (ie. you can use them on either the short or long shaft)... have I understood that correctly?

If that's the case and the built long shaft isn't to become available again then at least I can still get their CV's and do it myself... unless I'm missing something?

Another thought was to get the still available built up short shaft and use the CV's (remember it's cheaper than buying them on their own) plus have a spare short shaft into the bargain... also doable?

2. Zender Z20

SKF got back in touch... the pre-built, long side will be available again early February.

If I can get it at a half sensible price, like I did the short side, that's problem solved.

In case not and it turns out to be cheaper replacing the inner / outer CV's instead, would still be keen to hear answers to the above, cheers.

The old shafts / CV's below (less the ball bearings, son's snaffled those). Came apart relatively easily though the inner CV on one side was surprisingly well chewed up on the inside, will stick up a piccie for those of you like me who find things like that interesting!

With the exception of one outer CV everything seems if not original to the car certainly original VW...

shafts.jpg

3. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I would use the originals as I would think they would be better quality. Might be wrong believing that though.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the MK1 CV joints arent sided but on some models you'll see them listed as sided though, but thats down to the boot kit included not the joint itself. the reason is some have thicker shaft one side (e.g. mk2 golf and late cab/rocco with 100mm shafts)

SKF are top quality so I'd have no problem using, but as said if the originals are in good nick I'd use them with new boots (skf again if not genuine :lol:)

Zender Z20 likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

Spot on, thanks... I usually try to go to the makers website / e-catalogue and in SKF's case it's easy to navigate and no ambiguity as to what you need.

Sometimes I just like to double check that my understanding's correct, not that the info's wrong.

Enjoying getting into the mechanicals and seeing how things work, but always very aware I'm a novice too.

The old CV's below -

The damaged transmission side one (I think it's the original VW) was paired to the apparent outer non-VW replacement, I'm guessing that discolouration is evidence of partial seizure / heat damage... I can't find any makers detail on it?

In one of the photo's the newer outer is sitting beside what again I believe to be the VW original from the other shaft, it just looks better made / materials and it'll still rotate under finger pressure, whereas the damaged one'll only spin when the shafts inserted to give some leverage.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6. Jovani New Member

I post my question hear, due to lack of finding any answer in other threads...
    1985 Mk2 1.8 8v GTi DX engine and 020 gearbox, 100mm inner joints. Std whishbones. Mk3 4stud hubs.

Today its runing what i think is OE-std gti shafts from 85.. new outer joints to fit Mk3 (spidan)

I have a very hard time to find new left & right new driveshafts for my car (have very litle to no play when its on the ground whishbones are +2°up from horisontel 0°)
    Can anyone advise what length L&R driveshaft shod have if i order from AutoDoc as an example?

Lenght in mm that i have found for ONE art.no is:
    191407271N
    561 (Skf VKJC 1009)

191407272BD
    768 (Skf VKJC 1013)

very thankful for answers!
    Johan

7. rubjonny

191407271N is no good to you, thats a 90mm inner CV shaft. For the GTI you need 100mm shafts, any of these will do, there are various versions depending on age or engine:
    191407271K - left 100mm / RD,RG,EV,GZ,PB,PF,PG
    191407271HX - left 100mm / RD,RG,EV,GZ,PB,PF >>87
    191407271TX - left 100mm / PB,GU
    191407271FX - left 100mm / KR,PL >>87
    191407271SX - left 100mm / KR,PG 87>>

191407272BD -> 274DX - right 100mm / PB,GU,KR,PL
    191407452BX - right 100mm / PB,GU
    191407272BC -> 272BM -> 191407452 X - right 100mm / PG

however the original shafts should be fine, just give them a clean up and replace the joints if they are worn :)

8. rubjonny

9. Jovani New Member

It´s seems that thay use the same shafts for all engine´s, dosent matter what OE-nr i use, i get the same results... and yes, only looking for the 100mm.
    I have read bare-driveshaft-lengths thread 2-3 times and the only problem is its not complete axels measurements whit joints.
    Guess i have to take them apart and measure as you say, and if it´s not correct i have to do a Nige and cut-n-weld for making a correct size.
    Correct after market parts are hard to get after 38 years i guess...

10. rubjonny

yes the length is the same for them all, I dont have any reliable figures for overall length with CVs unfortunatly. Those are part numbers for the complete shaft, some are hollow some solid and some come with balance weight and some not thats why they have different numbers plus some are superceeded etc.

you can also use shafts from 4 stud corrado, plus ibiza, cordoba, polo classic and caddy van :)