1984 Manx rally - Mk1 golf gti

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by Riley, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

[YOUTUBE]5pCbU6IljXA[/YOUTUBE]

Cough...click:)

Neil.

2. Jonny777 Forum Member

Thats awesome!

Pond deserves some serious kudos for getting that Vitesse round those roads! :lol:

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Top find. This very car is in the UK ;)

It's an ex-works Kalle Grundel car, which finished somewhere respectable in the 1983 RAC Rally, 8th o/all IIRC. Note the WOB plate.

I looked at buying it in ~ 1998, but it would have been mad at the time. Enquired about it a couple of years ago again, but wasn't for sale. Now on a UK reg.

Pictured below on the same Manx event:

[​IMG]

4. badboi1 Forum Member

Really wicked find bro! That to me is real driving, no pafter flapy padel sequential boxes, no fancey computer controled 4Wd. Just pure driving skill! The guy driving the rover! uuuunnnnreeeal! I am going to watch it again! :)

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Cool...the name mentioned in the vid rings a bell from years ago...cant put a face to the name though...

Check out Manta-Site.com for a few more old skool manta video's.

RIP Bertie fisher too...[8(] Gotta love the bit at 8.15

Neil.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  6. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I have spannered on the manx national!!, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up watching that. They don't rally like that now a days.....

Top find..... :)

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Chris Lord later rallied an Audi Quattro which is probably where the name stuck.

8. micky1 Forum Member

When i was very young,8-10 so 1980-82?, we had the works vauxhall team come to our school with two manta 400's! They used the local vauxhall garage,saltford motors, for a base when the rally,lombard then i think, started in Bath.

Got some photos etc some where.

two manta 400's at full chat around the playing field at night was somehing i'll never forget.

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Mate...Would be awesome to see the pics!:)
    My favourite car of all time!

Neil.

10. badboi1 Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

Check out Manta-Site.com for a few more old skool manta video's.

RIP Bertie fisher too...[8(] Gotta love the bit at 8.15

Neil.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Neil Will do, Yeah i also love the manta! Wicked how those guys were catching so much air. What really supprises me is how stable those cars were. Just think, for the most part they didn't have fancy airo dynamic wings and so on. Espicialy the rover, it looked almost bog std. They obviously had the suspesions sussed on those cars. I would love meet one of the mechys who worked on their teams to find out how they did it!

cheers Peter

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Aye...I know that the long wheel base of the manta helped a lot on the bumpy stuff,very flat over the jumps,suppose the same goes for the ol rover vitesse.

I used to watch all these old cars tarmac rallying as a kid,and i was in the pits most of the time picking stones out of the slicks on my dads/dads mates 400 replica[:D]

Ive also sat in Jimmy McRae's original AC Delco Manta 400 pictured below,was a dream come true[:D]

280 brake horse,on twin 50 webers! Awesome :clap: They were even kicking audi ar$e until the bloody swb came along [xx(] :lol:
    [​IMG]

12. badboi1 Forum Member

jeeeezzzz Running twin 50 webbers! That car must haved to at least 7k if not more! I had an 8V with 45's a while back and that car just loved to rev. Wicked!

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Whilst we're on, can either settle the debate as to where the additional wheelbase was gained? Ditto Chevettes...