1985 Golf GL 1.6 Auto

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Bandarra, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Bandarra Forum Member

Alright Chaps, mate off mine has a 1985 Golf GL 1.6 Auto and he needs to know what type off carb is fitted, I've been told by some its a Pierburg and some its a Weber but would anyone be able to clarify it? I cant get to the car at the minute so unfortunatly dont have pictures either.

Also does anyone know if the carb used would be suitable for manual models as well as autos?

Thanks in advance

2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

It'll be a pierburg 2E2 from new. It may have been replaced by a weber 32/34 DTML later in life. The pierburg will have coolant hoses and a lot of vacuum hoses attached to it to operate its many automatic mechanisms. The weber is much simpler and will have 1 vacuum connection and a manual choke operation.
    There are minor difference between automatic carbs and manual carbs. On the pierburg the throttle lever (*possibly*) and the 3/4 point unit are different. On the weber, the throttle lever is diffferent.