1990 8v GTI 20v project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mark Allen, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Mark Allen

Mark Allen Paid Member Paid Member

After coming back to a Mk2 after a 20 year break, i have decided this time i am going to build the car i want and do all the things that i couldn't afford to do when i was 20.

I fear i am going to need some advice from you lot along the way as i am embarking on some changes that i have not tackled before - albeit specific to a golf.

So, i am going to be doing a full bare metal respray on the car, but first i want to mock-up all the other changes ahead of paint.

My 20v BAM engine arrived today, with engine loom to ECU, most (if not all) pipes, intercoolers, manifolds and all ancillaries. They also left the gearbox bolted to the engine.

I need to source an engine stand so i can commence the cleanup and would like to do any necessary work on the engine while it is not in the car. I will change the oil pick-up (i hear these are problematic), probably cambelt and waterpump (though i am told they have just been done).
    Engine i am told has covered 70K.
    Do i go to the extent of overhauling the head?
    I'm told the rods are good up to circa 300bhp?
    Any other noteworthy upgrades or maintenance items worth doing?

Next i need to source a gearbox, i have read some thrads on here but not found an overly clear answer. Mk3 02A? What do i need to do in terms of engine mounts, gear linkages ect?
    Do i stick with a hydraulic clutch? Some suggestion about using a Fiesta clutch pedal assembly?

Any help along this journey would be great.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-17 at 8.49.40 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-17 at 8.50.54 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-08-17 at 8.50.35 AM.jpeg

erreesse and dodgy like this.
  2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, I've just got my hydro clutch setup that bolts to mk2 box, on ebay, but its TTspares, also do a dbw pedal bracket and gearbox mount too.

Attached Files:

3. Chemilove89 New Member

I’m here for this, shell looks clean in the outside