1990 GTI MK2/ABF/5dr/Alpine White - Au - Mission Complete 1/7/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by blis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. sports racer Forum Member

When you're testing you only use a few milliamps and even 2 flakes of rust will support that. When you put a decent current through you can have problems, especially on a chassis mount.

blis likes this.
  2. blis Forum Member

Ive been quite rigorous with ground, no rust here though. My fat greek wedding, he used Windex, I'm just like that with INOX!! Wouldn't be hard to test I can disconnect it, has the SEAT a ground buss with spades above the steering column? I put a NARVA spade on it to see if it fit and cant get it off! I like German spades :)

3. sports racer Forum Member

The Seat is really annoying, everything I've planned to fix has been too easy. Even swapping the front springs/shocks with the MK2 was a breeze and I did it outside in the rain - the hardest part was getting the ones off the MK2.

I'm really missing having a MK2 to play with. :(

blis likes this.
  4. blis Forum Member

[video=youtube;Z6vUY9YJwBw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vUY9YJwBw[/video]

It's uploading now, it's not good enough for CGTI collection but a taste of my 2nd gear and 3rd gear acceleration. It's a cop's playground so Im on and off it regularly. I had to use some audio to bring out the sound, it seems it may have wind protection on and the sound levels dropped. It's quite close to how it sounds.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Finite, fasteddie and 1990 like this.
  5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

The sound is great, much better than mine. It looks very well planted in the corners too!!

I watched the video to the very end, I was expecting a cinema style extra bit during the end credits lol :thumbup:

You must have some awesome roads over there, that looked s nice twisty one :)

blis likes this.
  6. sports racer Forum Member

Great road and nice sound. Seems to like the corners too.

I'd be interested to know what time it takes from standing start to 100 ks.

blis likes this.
  7. blis Forum Member

Ian, sorry about the ending... didn't notice until it was too late. It's a great road and it's teaming with Police all the time, so I try to back on and off. It's a great road but it's getting a little rutted in places. It goes on for miles and miles and gets even tighter. Sports Racer, I would have been doing around 100kph in 2nd when I turned around to give a rough idea.

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

It may not be red ..but I like it :thumbup:

blis likes this.
  9. blis Forum Member

There's plenty of red on it, at least 2hp worth!

10. blis Forum Member

Ian, the only thing missing is the Club GTI sticker. I want one of the original ones, I couldn't find any to buy. * I had the windows tinted

11. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Cracking bit of road :thumbup: looks like a rally stage and equally lethal to have an off at speed.

I'd like to swap at the this time of year. What should be an 1hrs work changing a binding rear caliper has become a task and a half. I couldn't get the twist out of my old goodridge SS hose (as the caliper thread starts in a different place) and now I'm going to have to bin the axle SS hose as well and make a new hardline as the pipe nut flats have rusted away [8(]

blis likes this.
  12. blis Forum Member

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I might have an original clubgti sticker if you want it, and I can find it. The one with a clear background.

blis likes this.
  14. blis Forum Member

Beetie, has the club run out of them? Mine was taken off with the tint and I should have told them to save it. Lets see what Ian can do first, hang on to yours, you may chance tint too!

15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`d missed the updates on this. Seems like it`s running really well after your recent work :thumbup:

I have a set of the ball-Hex keys, they are invaluable for some jobs. I don`t know how I`d gain access any other way !

blis likes this.
  16. blis Forum Member

Nige, 1.5 hours and a trip to buy a 3/8 ratchet set and I still couldn't get it out clean. With the ball hex on hand, the front flange was in and out in under a minute. Invaluable tool for an ABF, there's no other way and they have to be long and short like the ones in the pic. Even a conventional sized allex key itself wont work. The long long end and the short short end are what made them perfect for the task. Will also come in handy around the back of the manifold.

More wiring...

I just cleaned up the stereo wiring, I didn't post pics because some people flame when soldering wires on cars. Personally I hate connectors with a vengeance, they swell up the wiring bundles, stress wires and nothing beats a clean solder and heat shrink in my book. Specially where space is tight, I couldn't get the stereo in without reducing the bulk. Added a little LED in the center console, still working on the shifter bushing, it's not looking great, more silicon for now... horrible stuff!

Nige likes this.
  17. blis Forum Member

My new little friend

I was struggling to get the screws in for the front dash speakers then along came...

My new little friend, it has what feels like one way roller bearings in itas there's no ratchet to speak of.
    IMG_5223 (HD).jpg

I've been looking for a 1/2 socket one of these in stores for a while, I should check online.

18. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Cracking area to enjoy the car in looks like a best of both worlds location. How lucky was that Lexus driver not hitting anything.

That's what I always try to keep in mind. Imagine yourself coming the other way nutcase or not lol And I'm not about to find out whether someone knows their own limitations or not on the road either.

blis likes this.
  19. blis Forum Member

It's age on my side, I was just as mindless at age 19. Its one of the reasons I wanted the boys to put performance on a track, not on the street, so RC was a good option, and when the car is destroyed hitting a wall, they aren't in it and they have to fix it.

20. blis Forum Member

Looked over my shoulder today...

Something caught my eye...

Sitting pretty
    IMG_5402 (HD).jpg

Better side...
    IMG_5404 (HD).jpg

Wounds to be sorted soon...
    IMG_5405 (HD).jpg
    :)

Sirguydo, 1990, beetie and 2 others like this.