1990 GTI MK2/ABF/5dr/Alpine White - Au - Mission Complete 1/7/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by blis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blis Forum Member

20160409_084806.jpg

On today's list we have a whole lot of things to put back that have lost screws, sad news is I can't find the fine threaded type here so it's going to take some wrist action

Solve rear wiper issue, it was working
    Screw down internal trimmings
    Install cigarette lighter
    Install console lighting
    Install new switch for hatch

2. sports racer Forum Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    blis likes this.
  3. blis Forum Member

That's the place and the race....

So it was another enjoyable day working on the mk2...

Lots of loose ends to tidy...

I'd found a cigarette lighter with light and although the plug was different I needed to power the led in the lower console and have power and ground for the van port. All went well, it didn't have connectors for vag and if really in need, we can use the ones on cigarette lighter. Just need to change from round to flat spade connections.. Too easy

Then onto the rear compartment light, the switch was beyond repair and I sourced one from supercheap, a few little mods and it was in like Flynn, now to get some LEDs but it works, I checked.

Then I mounted the bonnet release, just two screws and it was done, fitted the console, checked lighter, light all good. Went under the hood and used whatever clips I had left over where I could, organised HT leads in order so luke can put it back a few tucks of a loom and tried to align the side guard a little better, slowly getting there

Onto the rear wiper, John fuse box FAQ to the rescue, fuse was gone and the glove box light came good while I was there. Also connected microphone for Bluetooth to wrong connector, fixed that too.

Now onto the rear demister after lunch, before I put the drivers underside panel back I'll make sure the green and white is connected to k connector.. If not, will leave it to luke to use a multimeter and get to the bottom of it.

20160409094304-2.jpg

20160409093846_1_20160410_005143.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. blis Forum Member

Rolling off the stand for the last time

Tomorrow Luke arrives and its been a long journey to get to the point where I feel I can hand over a car that has been loved, cared for and nursed through many trials that only someone with a passion for it would endure

The rough diamond as she is know to be called has a new bonnet in Queensland ready for paint, Mike has the inlet manifold and dash and the heater matrix is the only thing that will tie these two items together to call it finished. Luke is meticulous and he can tinker with touch up spray guns, a little filler and enjoy polishing and faceting her to his liking. The stickers arrive tomorrow, theres a wash and wax to do and a photo shoot with the front spoiler on,. I think luke would prefer to have it off in case it damages the bumpers and scrapes, as it normally does.

[video]https://youtu.be/T7hdRVYDktg[/video]

5. blis Forum Member

Rolling off the stand for the last time

Tomorrow Luke arrives and its been a long journey to get to the point where I feel I can hand over a car that has been loved, cared for and nursed through many trials that only someone with a passion for it would endure

The rough diamond as she is know to be called has a new bonnet in Queensland ready for paint, Mike has the inlet manifold and dash and the heater matrix is the only thing that will tie these two items together to call it finished. Luke is meticulous and he can tinker with touch up spray guns, a little filler and enjoy polishing and faceting her to his liking. The stickers arrive tomorrow, theres a wash and wax to do and a photo shoot with the front spoiler on,. I think luke would prefer to have it off in case it damages the bumpers and scrapes, as it normally does.

[video=youtube;T7hdRVYDktg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hdRVYDktg[/video]

20160410_112153_20160410_181751.jpg
    20160410_112609_20160410_182103.jpg
    20160410_112641_20160410_182228.jpg
    20160410_134533_20160410_182407.jpg

6. blis Forum Member

Went on a location scout... Came back wifh
    20160410091716_20160411_010708.jpg
    20160410085817-COLLAGE.jpg

Front spoiler and a detail in the next few days

7. blis Forum Member

8. blis Forum Member

20160413_181050.jpg
    **** happens with **** heads who can't drive in front of you... This might be the last straw, I'll sleep on it a bit more. Mike an you source Parts I need?

9. sports racer Forum Member

Sleep on it and hopefully you'll change your mind. You've put way too much work into this and I'd miss all your updates and advice.

Hope you walked away without any injuries.

Cheers

Paul

blis likes this.
  10. blis Forum Member

Thanks mate there now a black 16V 2.0 sexy Alfa Romeo with tan leather seats, sunroof 17" alloys and my friend is almost giving it away to Luke. He needs air con and today I looked on VW heritage and I can get all the parts, get it back to where it was, park it I Brisbane and put a cover of er it for another day and not use it as a driver er. Luke can use it as a hobby car and care for it. Having driven the Alfa, we had to drive 100km back to Central Coast and the Golf was tight and crisp I comparison, but the Alfa is a wagon and will suit luke to a tee.

It's just a car...

11. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Gutted H :cry:
    Had a mad few days at work and was in the process of sorting dash , few problems due to its length .
    We can get anything you need to repair its just postage issues .
    Send me a pm or post your thoughts tonight/tomorrow on your plan of action .
    M

Just seen you back on line

blis likes this.
  12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Feck. [:x]

blis likes this.
  13. blis Forum Member

Its alright guys, its just a car, and I'll fix it, I fix things, I fix Co punters, i have my son here with me, we're going g racing, VW heritage has all the parts, new, clones, who cars and.... It drove me back 100km

Love you all for caring, success is a measure of how quickly you recover from failure...

Oh and Nigel, the first thing that came to Luke's mind, was that's like nice smashing at the track, going g home and repairing g it... We race rc cars, we do the same...

And that black alpha estate is better for Luke and he'll care for the gti as a hobby car, its too hard on his tender heart to be a daily, I'll be worried for him being worried for me.

Love you all for caring, slide hammer, some alpine white, some Ups parts as though Santa delivers it and she'll be back purring again...

As for idiot Persian Armenian who thinks I'm going to help sort out his insurance claim, or the Pakistani who doesn't know how to swerve, well ive spoken to the insurance company, stati g that 3 x 400ms reaction times is greater than the 1 second safety gap the law states to be safe distance and I will be writing an epic and immaculate submission when the other idiots work out they have to claim, not me.

Onward and upward, off to act for some 1hp/kg racing and we'll be thinking of you all as we tear up the track

afbiker02, fasteddie, Nige and 2 others like this.
  14. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Buggeration, as long as you're ok. It doesn't look quite as terminal as sport racers. Hopefully the chassis rails are aright.

blis likes this.
  15. blis Forum Member

Thanks buddy, it was under 30kph and I slid into it, I can't see any deformation of the rail, just the lips that connect the radiator mounts. Radiator didn't touch oil filter either.. Even luke said it looks worse than it is.

16. blis Forum Member

20160415_082425.jpg
    20160415_082333.jpg

Guys, my friend is offering this for Luke at 1700 quid... Its 125k on the clock, immaculate inside, few Bing's and dingo on the outer, nothing really and its a 2l valver ,. But she sounds like a diesel, so a timing belt job I think, and probably a clutch, haven't done any research about them.

Oh and when I drove it, then hopped into my sad faced gti, the MK2 was soo tight and lovely in comparison, but hey, no air con in Queensland is a tough ask and this one has climate control, sunroof, leather seats and I got get him a look in to a classy euro brunette someday instead of a blonde bimbo

Nige and beetie like this.
  17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

It's definitely in Australia as it's upside down. [emoji3]

afbiker02, blis and Nige like this.
  18. Bostjan New Member

Hello blis
    I do not know you but i just want to say that your work presented on the forum, the way you describe your work, the passion, the way you mention your son and your work together... It is an inspiration. I am sure i am not the only one that thinks that way and i just wanted to let you know.
    Carry on, with pride and spirit that you have !

blis likes this.
  19. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Aye, I remember seeing a Mk2 with the front shredded out in the road sitting opposite a junction back in the day when the ages were in single figures. It sat there for months, but eventually it was repaired.

That 159 has quite a motor in it. The Jet Thrust Stoichiometric (Twin Spark with direct injection) was apparently too expensive to put in the 147 & 166. I don't know if the 2.2 JTS would fit in a 147, but it sounds good on paper.

blis likes this.
  20. blis Forum Member

Thank you my friend, I tried to teach my older son the lessons I learned from my life, but it is my younger son that has learned a bigger lesson from this experience. When he saw how much of my life was put into a car and how fragile it is, how it can be ruined in an instant he thought it was the worst thing in the world. But the truth is, I devoted myself to my family a lot more and I lost it to the cruelty of alcoholism and what it did to my wife's mind, my elder son and how destructive guilt is.

My name in Armenian is the resurrection, the car I can fix, my family I can not and whether I can fix myself, that I will learn in a short while when I move to dubai, seeking good men, strict culture and more love of people, not cars.

I thank you from the depths of my heart for acknowledging my attempt to repair the minds of those closest to me, sadly it's legal to drink and not illegal to hurt the feelings on men. CGTI is more that men fixing old cars, its forum of good men sharing their passion and duty of care to others, for this I am most proud to be a member.

Sincerely,

Harry Sinanian

sports racer, Sirguydo and fasteddie like this.