1990 Mk2 Golf GTi 8v Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Daniel119, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Daniel119 Forum Member

WE HAVE MORE LOWSSSSSS!!! [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments?

Dan :)

2. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

I bet it's fun going over speed bump lol

3. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

would never get around the roads here being that low, and as already said the original 7 slate grill looked alot better than that bedabged one you have now, buts it's your car so do what you like.

4. Daniel119 Forum Member

Havent gone over one yet :lol:

I wanted a 7 slat debadged one but they dont seem to exist [:^(]

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Send me the original grill [:D]

De-badged makes me cry though.

6. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

daniel
    a 7 slat debadge would be kool, but i prefer the black badge in a 7 slat, and the fact that mine is a four light 7 slat with black badge just makes it awesome!

7. Daniel119 Forum Member

I'm keeping it so can change it back if i change my mind

Hopefully someone makes one soon :lol:

8. TUBDUB Forum Member

Nice golf but you need to sort your stance out a bit, you seem to be reverse raking[eek]

9. Daniel119 Forum Member

Yeah it is a bit resevered raked, but the front has come down a bit more now so its more level now :)

Fitted the new stereo the other day, had to rewire everything behind it because whoever had it before had made such a mess of the wiring it was stupid [:x] But looks good, and also wired it to the heater control switched live so it only comes on with ignition, so not on all the time.

[​IMG]

Also, ghetto repair FTW haha, pair of my old jeans and my drivers bolster is as good as new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New tailored mats ordered too, I cant stand the standard rubber ones.

Any comments?

10. Daniel119 Forum Member

Wow, haven't been on here in ages! Well, a lot has happened since my last update. But here it goes.

Well, 2 weeks pretty much after owning the car - I was on my way to lunch from work, turning right on the roundabout and a recovery lorry came straight out onto the roundabout without looking and sideswiped me... Twice! The driver of the lorry was on his phone and admitted responsibility immediately and the company paid out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the damage I did to the lorry...

[​IMG]

The rear quarter was worse than it looks in the pictures, where the lorry hit it had pushed the entire quarter into the tyre.

Anyway, as it happened so close to my house I insisted it went to the body shop near me as the owner is a good friend of mine and he everything on all of my cars.

The car went in a on the Friday, a week before Edition 38 which I was planning on going to with some friends which looked like it was no longer happening as the next Monday was a bank holiday. But, body shop worked their magic and they started work on the Tuesday and I got the car back on the Thursday night absolutely mint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back on my drive the night before I left for Edition [:D]

[​IMG]

Anyway, was just enjoying driving it again after than - Got it a it lower

[​IMG]

And fitted some new tailored mats to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I decided, with having two cars on the road that it would be a good time to learn a little bit more about engines. I know how they work but you can never put a price on how valuable it is stripping something down and rebuilding it yourself because you learn so much.

Anyway, I decided to take the engine out of the Golf, strip it, clean it, rebuild it and paint it as well as tidy the bay up, tidy the wiring and fit some nice new shiny parts. Took me most of the day to get the engine out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the engine inside, took the gearbox off and then put the engine on the engine stand and started to strip it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Daniel119 Forum Member

Next thing to do was clean the faces of both the block and the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I painted the sump, it looked a right state before :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As is always the way with cars though, stripping it down revealed problems that weren’t an issue but would become an issue such as broken bolts and broken hoses. So I had to keep taking trips to VW for new bolts and I bought a brand new set of hoses. The manifold also had a crack in it and instead of shelling out for a new OEM one; I decided to just get hold of a new 4-2-1 branch manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then decided, while the engine was out - And for the sake of 4 to change the core plugs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now between this stage and the next I didn’t get any photos but I reassembled most of the engine, washed it, degreased it and painted it and this is how it stood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did the same to the gearbox

[​IMG]

Now the engine is all timed up, and this is how it is currently standing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a lot left to do now hopefully will be in the car and ready for MOT soon.

Sorry for the MASSIVE picture heavy update, I will from now on update regularly to stop this happening :lol:

Any comments?

12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice Mk2 you have there. Im so glad it was fixed from the crash! I would of cried if it were me!!

Nice job on the engine too. I did the same with my MK2!

:thumbup:

13. jedi Forum Member

Good to see it got repaired insurance companies tend to be to quick to right off older cars, nice work with the engine overhaul ad well

14. Newey Forum Member

Looks like a cracking example. Glad you saved it!!!

15. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks excellent, especially the last pic when you got it back from the body shop.

Whats involved in changing a core plug? I need to blank one off that currently has a coolant hose outlet on it.

16. Daniel119 Forum Member

So was I haha, I wasnt happy it happened but at the end of the day - I was without the car for a week and I got nearly a full respray for nothing :lol:

I was so glad it wasn't written off! and thanks

Was no questions aout saving it, there was no way i was getting rid!

Thanks mate :) Easiest way I found was to get a socket the same size as the ID of the coreplug on an extension bar and hammer it into the block. Dont worry, they cant go anywhere. Then get some pliers and hook them out. Then to get the new ones in, use the socket method again but knock them in flush and square