1990 passat 1.6 2E carb on a 1991 mk2 1.3 ryder 2g engine...

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Bolo, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Bolo New Member

I know my 1.3 2g has similarities to the HK and HH engines

I found a 1990 passat 1.6 2E carb totally by chance. Mate was having an attic clear out and it landed on my door step.

I seen threads about the 2E being a 2E3

Should I drop this carb on? Anyone done this before or know a good thread for it.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

3. Bolo New Member

Ive been doing some modifications to a mk2 1.3 which will get a new engine in the future. Dropped and powerflex bushings, k&N bolt on, leads, pumps, gti axle conv, gti interior, rolled arches on avo70's, tints etc etc etc lol.

The engine will be taken out for my mk1 so i want it running sweet before i do the conversion.

I learned about fitting the euro gk inlet manifold here on the forums in a lot of detail which has the wider inlet fitting the 1.3.

I also found that theres a 1.6 (caddy santana scirocco jetta) which has a head that will take the same inlet as my engine. Given that the inlets the same im thinking the carb will fit.

Both carbs are single carbs and have visual similarities

I could get a weber, but, this 2e turned up at my door and its a nice looking part.

I read that the 2e is basically a 2e3 but with the thottle cable coming in from the bulkhead side rather than curling round the engine bay and back in the front. Fitting a 1.6 carb would allow more fuel to get to the engine, im allowing more air with the filter, my inlet will be bigger and I wanted to find a cheap way to get the best out of the modifications done and the good engine.

BTW thanks for the diagrams

4. Bolo New Member

Im talking about the 1.6 2E carb, not the 1.6 2E2 carb.

5. Bolo New Member

Most of what im basing the work on can be found on this link, here on the forums...

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101809&highlight=1.3+cam

And also on the premise that the GK 2G HH and HK engines along with a load of polo engine codes basically have the same head, cam, inlet and carb.

It a bit of fun basically. I dont hope of plan to get massive bhp increase, just to rebuild the thing with some mild performance enchancements and get the most out of the engine.

When it goes in the mk1 I reckon with the weight loss it should go fair well tho.

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I think they all have 2E written on them. The only variants I've come across are 2E3, which has semi-automatic choke, 2E2 with fully automatic choke, and 2EE which is a hybrid type thing with various electronic bits bolted onto it (and never seen one of them in the 'flesh').

Which diagram does your "2E" look more like, if either?

Putting a carb from a 1.6 engine on a 1.3 will actually deliver less fuel (than the existing carb), I'm pretty sure, unless you change the jets inside it, as the airspeed through the venturis will be lower than required for the 1.6 jet sizes. Having said that, the jets are easy to change, but then what's the point? You already have a carb suited to the 1.3 engine don't you? I'm a bit confused...

7. Bolo New Member

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

2e2 then, I think, though the picture's not the best!

9. Bolo New Member

I'll post a picture soon, that one on ebay is the one i think it is, always better with a propper photo tho.

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Mk2 golf autos came with a 2E2 carb. It has a four point unit instead of a three point unit, but I'm not sure what difference that makes. And I think only 1600 and 1800 engines were available with auto gearboxes.
    The throttle linkages on an auto carb are different to a manual one too.