2.0 16v 9a trigger wheel

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bazoldskoolmk2, Aug 28, 2015.

1. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

any thoughts on my new setup,

with my new requirement for a zetec VR sensor i got a buddy to take down my pulley wheel by the same thickness as my trigger wheel in order to maintain the belt alignment for my alternator. hopefully the reduced grip from the rubber ring will not result in failure.

surely the benefit of a timing belt casing intact is good. similarly, i was thinking that there should be no sync issues from his modification.

i could not find great solutions from searches on the CLUB site so i thought i would share my experiments/

BAZ

Attached Files:

2. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

serpentine pulley has been taken down by 5-6mm in order to accomodate my trigger wheel (just incase the pics aint clear.

engine is a 9a, pulley wheel is from a 2.0 mk3 8v with the accompanying alternator and bracket. i think that the three bolt securing should suffice as the fourth one is not supported by my engine block and i have a suck it and see attitude in this respect

3. mec82 Forum Member

How is the trigger wheel secured, press fit?

Id have thought 3 bolts would work but hard to be sure.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Similair to what I did. I started out like that:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it turned out the pulleys on the engine weren't the correct ones, so it ended up like this:

[​IMG]

5. mec82 Forum Member

Doubt know if it helps but this is what i did,although my alternator setup is different,not serp belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

yep, i am going to have to tap a few threads somewhere to keep it secure once i have found its position. need to make sure it sits nice and straight too with no runout but it should be ok.

Baz

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My first effort was similar to the first pic. I turned up a pulley nose extension and back bolted this to the pulley. Offset the other ones to maintain alignment. Semi interference fit on the wheel bore, plus three off M4 bolts, loctited. The bolts sheared on its third rally, resulting in a DNF. So upped to M5 and no further probs.
    Don't triggerwheels.co.uk do a VW one now?
    Jon

8. mec82 Forum Member

The signal from the vr sensor is better if there's a bit of space around the trigger wheel as well. That's why i spaced mine off the pulley a few mm.

My trigger wheel was from here
    http://bamracing.co.uk/
    They have wheels with the vw pattern

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015