2.0 16v Rados

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by PAB, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Which 2.0ltr 16v engines were fitted into the Corrado 92/93/94.

Cheers
    Philip

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

9A same as early passat why?

3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Been looking at a 1993 car online and I'm interested in buying it but don't know a lot about the specs on engines.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I sold mine recently, I even repaced the engine with an abf but kept the 9a fueling. From my limited knowledge the engine is quite similar to an abf but the fueling uses some inbetween kjetmotronic system or something which has quite a few emissions related sensors and plugs. In my honest opinion I would go for a vr6. mmm 93 you say? Mine was a 94 and it came with horrible light grey interior which i swapped with a dark grey striped from a VR6.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A little more info here on the fuelling.

The ABF is a tall block, the 9A is short. No crank sensor on the 9A.

6. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Good info guys,

I'm pretty up to speed with 16v tech, just wondered which engine it was in the Rado. Always prefered 16v to VR6, so with some cams, 4 branch and mods on the KJet i'll be well away.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not with a KE-Motronic and a 9A. Need ABF fury to have a fighting chance, especially as the VR6 can be very easily fettled;).

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

In the context of 'well away'? Ie more to be had from the latter ECU?

9. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

MMM... looks like I bordering on Epic Fail with my 16v tech?????

9a in a 92/93 Rado is KE-Motronic then?? Bugger

Might just have to bite the bullit and go ABF Eaton Blower and aftermarket ECU then.

10. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I've got an ABF in my Rado running on K-Jet. Its the way forward! :-)

11. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

My best mate has an ABF/K-Jet Monza blue Mk2 and it is stunning, std engine WUR mod and 4 branch.

Have to say its awsome for real world motoring.

12. corradophil Forum Member

I'm going to stick my neck on the line here, because I know there are only about 3 people in the world who like the KE-Motronic system...

Earlier this year I re-built my 9a in my Corrado, it's now got 83mm bore/new pistons, man in the shed head, KR cams, Magnex cat back exhaust, std exhaust manifold which I opened out and port matched, and matched inlet manifold.

I took it to Stealth after a couple of thousand miles to get it tuned. It was making 150bhp and running very lean after 5krpm. Vince advised he could not adjust the fueling, but the ignition map is fully 'mappable'. He suggested I junk the KE-Motronic in favour of K-jet, but try to keep the ignition part of KE-Motronic to get the the best of both worlds.

Since then I have done a whole heap of research into the KE-Motronic system, fitted a wideband AFR guage, and adjusted the differential fuel pressure regualator to change the fuel pressure, which affects the mixture, much the same as the WUR mod on K-Jet.

The engine has 5000 miles on it now and still feels a bit tight, but on full throttle I now have an air fuel ratio which is about 12:1 at 3000 rpm and 13:1 at 6500rpm. I still want to spend more time fine tuning the fuel, and ignition timing, but it goes ALOT better than when it went to stealth and made 150bhp.

OK, KE-Motronic cannot compete with modern systems, but I would not junk it in favour of K-Jetronic.

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

well done Phil, that sounds much improved! Does seem that sometimes monsieur Vince isn't the all-seeing all-knowing guru some people rave on about.

as for K-jet being the way forward.. it can result in 'fruity' cars, but is a step backward compared to use of an aftermarket ecu

14. corradophil Forum Member

Cheers matey, part throttle is closed loop flicking between upper and lower limits around 14.7:1, full throttle could go richer, but you adjust it throughout the rev range. I'm pretty happy with it now, and it is so easy to get more fuel if needed.:thumbup:

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good work on attempting lambda adjustments.
    Motronic = fuel and spark mappable. Fuel quantity via mapped PWM pressure regulator.
    Still this engine not on par with the fury of the ABF, having optimsed a 9A with ABF cams with MS. That 9A was fast bit just did not have the edge.

16. corradophil Forum Member

:thumbup:Thanks, from what I could gather when I was at stealth, the fuelling map adjustments were limited. If I had the knowledge I have now, back then, I'd have been adjusting the fuel pressure whilst on the rollers.

So the taller block and conrods? of the ABF make a worthwhile difference in your experience?