2.0 8v G60

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by milesmk2, May 2, 2014.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

I remember reading some thing some where (not sure where) that standard internals in Golf engines can take some boost, enough to handle a G60 with 68mm pulley for example?

Im looking at building up a 2.0 8v G60 you see and i need to know if i really need to replace the pistons with forged ones. Also i know the compression needs to be reduced, and would i be right im thinking that double stacking head gaskets (mls ones) would be of for this? Or is it just a horrible idea?

This all needs to be done on a fairly tight budget so if i do indeed need forged pistons then the plan are gonna have to change for what engine i put into my Golf.

2. BISSONE Forum Member

Couple of people on here inc Toyotec have 2E rods in their ABF turbo'd engines alongside standard internals and stacked gaskets with pretty impressive results. Believe the reason behind the 2E rods is there the meatiest out of the tall blocks. So in theory yeah should be ok for around 200bhp. Have a search and im sure their running over 250bhp with no problems but may be wrong. Ideally om saying start with a 2E block but needs to be in good condition first otherwise is'nt gunna last long.

3. milesmk2 Forum Member

Right ok. Im a long way off from building the engine up. Gotta get a job first at the moment. I'll be doing this when the time comes though. Probably do all the usual mods, 68mm pulley, big intercooler etc.

4. tom.rich Forum Member

The 2E code engines have forged rods and a forged crank, which is the reason for their increased strength over the cast items found in AGG's etc. As Bissone says Toyotec's Wolf-R build is a very interesting read and covers it very well :) It would appear they'll take more torque than a G60 could throw at it.

TSR used to use T4 Transporter 2.0 blocks but I can't remember what they used internal-wise and supposedly they lost the usual G60 responsiveness.

It looks slightly more complex (read as expensive) than the usual 2.0 block swaps for N/A Mk2's and so forth where you aren't worried about compression, but I'm sure there's enough info about on it :)