2.0 ABF on flatside bike carbs.

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by moff2065, Sep 2, 2012.

1. moff2065 New Member

could anyone give me any info on running my mk3 gti 16v on bike carbs?

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Personally, I would advise against it. It may end up sounding cool but its a step backwards vs the fuel injection & plenum etc. You will lose fuel economy, some low to mid range torque, you may gain a little peak power vs digifant but probably wont acheive the output you could get from standalone engine management.

If you really want the carb noise, there is a guide by Jolfa on here, and two recent build threads using bike carbs. Basically you remove the plenum, airbox, fuel rail, engine mangement. Reduce the fuel pressure via a regulator as carbs do not require fuel injection pressure levels. Make an intake manifold either from a flange readily available, the lower part of the ABF manifold, or a manifold intended for Webers. Ally tube shaped to bridge the gap between manifold flange and the carbs. Some silicone hoses to dampen vibrations between engine and carbs. Take off for brake vacuum incorporated into the carbs or manifold. A distributor setup that runs off vacuum or a megajolt controlable ignition. All that leaves is a suitable throttle cable and air filter.

3. Admin Guest

Think about MoT time and emissions with this age of vehicle.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Very solid suggestion I would think as well.

5. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Was going to add MOT issues, but thought this has gotten a bit lengthy for a mobile phone post lol

6. wassell Forum Member

whereabouts are you based? if you're in cornwall/devon you're more than welcome to check out my set up in the scirocco to get an idea of what needs to be done.

pro's/con's

*its a very simple conversion.
    *fuel economy goes out of the window (18-25mpg)
    *sounds amazing
    *looses power over the injection in one way or another.

I personally wouldnt do it again. id save up for webers or repair the injection system i had. if you want carbs, i cannot recommend enough to save up a little more and go for twin 40/45's. these are a much much better suited.

7. wassell Forum Member

oh and regarding MOT, mine flew through on emissions. They arent that bad but that was for a mk2 scirocco and im unsure what the "levels" are for the mk3 golf.

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Mk3 has stricter emissions than the mk2.

CO% = 0.200

HC = 200ppm

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  9. bigbenbird Forum Member

I thought all regulations applied to the chassis age rather than the engine age? Might be wrong......

Things like a CAT can be disregarded on an ABF transplanted in to a pre-CAT aged car i.e. MK2

Ben

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

This is true.