2.0 tdi :-)

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by melinamotor, Jan 5, 2007.

1. melinamotor Forum Member

I have just recieved my new company hack and for a diesel it flys :lol:

Its a 2.0 tdi 170 and its the first Golf to sit on my drive for over ten years, there are a couple of niggles but as a package its great.
    The niggles are:

1) The steering is direct but overly heavy, this is probably down to the weight of the engine.

2)Its a nightmare holding the car at 60mph in 6th gear as the damn thing wants to pull faster all the time.(6th only seems to be comfortable cruising at 70mph,I guess this was intended by design)

I like the convienience features like the auto dim mirror and auto wipers and lights. On the motorway it cruises with a fairly quiet demeanour for a diesel. The build quality is good for a hatch and the dark grey metallic hue looks stealthy.

All in all a good steer but the nose heavy posture is not as alert (obviously) as the current Gti (Fsi petrol). For an everyday car its great and I can actually hear the stereo but I still have my Type R for the weekends.

Nice to be back in the fold though, :)

2. Seraph Banned

sounds nice

but i doubt the steering is due to frontend weight - its prob just an lightly assisted design. Assuming its new, theres nothing that should affect the steering.

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

one of my fav cars at the moment!!

steering is ecetrical, it varies depending on the speed of vehicle - normally feels responsive

4. melinamotor Forum Member

Feels numb compared to my old Focus but not as numb as my Civic[:D] . Conclusion = Focus wins hands down on steering feel, Golf wins on diesel torque wave pulling power :lol:

Bit of a challenge sticking to 60mph in sixth though....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. melinamotor Forum Member

Its done 100 miles and it feels like you are dragging the front wheels when turning, not very nice[:^(] maybe I should have it checked?
    As an overall package though its great, build quality is good (although i would argue the build on a Mk4 is better). Its a stealth mobile without a doubt, its a dark metallic grey riding on standard spoked alloys.

6. Seraph Banned

silly question, but what are the tyre pressures like?

7. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

My wife has a 06, Jetta 2.0 TDi Sport, the steering is heavier than on my mk4 Golf GT TDi.
    However, we had the same problem, which only came to light, when the Jetta scrubed at full set of tyres at 8000 miles. We took it back to our local VW garage, who discovered the geometry was well out, not even near the factory settings.
    Thank fully it's a company car and they covered the cost.

One of the wifes previous company cars was a Focus TDCi, and a Mazda 6 TD, and since the Jetta has been sorted, it would leave both of them for dead, and the qualities a 100 times better

8. melinamotor Forum Member

Pressures are fine, one rear was a couple of psi out but otherwise normal. I will have the geometry checked asap, however I find it unlikely anything will be out.
    Getting used to it now and things feeling better, its probably just me being too picky:lol:

9. Seraph Banned

I think you CAN afford to be picky when youve just parted with 20 grand!

10. melinamotor Forum Member

Mate, its a company car ;) I paid nowt for it, well maybe a wedge of tax :lol:

Would of bought a Gti with my own wedge :lol:

11. Supercharged Forum Member

You got cruise control??

12. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

If it's a company car get it checked, cause your not paying, trust me the the difference was night and day after the jetta was sorted

13. melinamotor Forum Member

Nope [8(]

14. melinamotor Forum Member

The strange thing is the steering has improved over the last couple of days and now doesn't feel as tight. I still need to book it in for a check over though just in case.