2.0L 8v .... best way forward ??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by golfnutz, Apr 5, 2010.

1. golfnutz New Member

If it was as straight forward as just putting the engine in I would too :thumbup: but because its a non EFI car to start with and the AGG engine is from a mk3 golf it means changing fuel lines, tank, wiring, mounting the fuel pump and ecu, exhaust and maybe a host of other bits and pieces, which for a project car that can stay off the road for months is no probs but mine is a rolling project and is needed from time to time at weekends, so not sure I can be without the car for long enough to complete the swap in one go [:^(]

cheers steve

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i did all the above, fuel lines etc by robbing a digi car, fitting only took a weekend TBH, my problem was with the megasquirt ecu.

3. golfnutz New Member

that suprises me that it was that quick, maybe it will be easier than i am thinking then :lol:.
    just sounds quite alot of work on the face of it though, the main problem i have though is my donor car is a k-jet and not digi [:^(] so is gonna make things tricky.
    think i will end up having to collect some different parts now my route has changed :thumbup:
    thanks for the info drunkenalan

cheers steve

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

k-jet fuel lines, pumps and exhaust will work too, pumps will fit to your old tank :thumbup:

in the engine bay you'll note k-jet has threaded fittings, what you do is chop the 2 main metering head in/out rubber pipes off the barbed fittings, then push the mk3 8v lines on and secure with fuel clamps :)

I'd leave a 4 day weekend to do it though, since you have to change literally everything. do as much as possible to the mk3 lump before you touch anything on the mk2, replace flanges, clutch, seals etc. You'll want to check over the mk3 engine loom and make sure its ready for a straight swap, some bits differ to the mk2 engine bay.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Think Automotive sell the adaptors to convert the K-Jet supply and return line terminations , safely, to high pressure fuel hose.

6. rubjonny

or just use the fittings in the k-jet metering head fuel lines, they're barbed and designed to cope with k-jet pressure ;)

remember digifant is at lower pressure than k-jet, so if the k-jet fittings can cope with k-jet pressure, they're more than capable of coping with digi pressure.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  7. golfnutz New Member

8. rubjonny

1. yeah need to fit the lambda somewhere. one way is to fit the mk3 8v downpipe and a cat bypass, then fit mk2 16v exhaust. all a direct bolt on fit then. otherwise drill a hole in the downpipe and weld in a lambda boss

2. everything except the charcoal canister bits!