2.0TFSI GTI being left behind??

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by ianb, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ianb Forum Member

I note today in Auto Express that both Ford and Vauxhall are launching 2 new upgrade models for the Astra VXR and Focus ST.

Both are producing more or less 300bhp!!

Both available from the dealership with manufacturers warranty from new!

They have both have suspension and brake upgrades to cope with ATB diffs as options.

I also note Seat is launching the Cupra R with 240 bhp.....don't know if it is utilising the same turbo unit as the current Golf.

It seems other manufacturers are leaving VW behind in the Power stakes.

I've driven the the MK5 and it could easily handle 300bhp especially with a diff the chassis is that good. Why can't VW build a special with that in mind....there new 240 hp car is already lagging behind even though it's not launched.

Perhaps a special turbo R32 is the answer?

Ian

2. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

its not all about power Ian, its the status of the car remember, the value it will stay at the reliability, and as you know VW cant be beaten for reliability.

wat would you rather have, a VW or a Vauxhall or even worse a Ford....

i know what i would go for everytime!

3. damogti Forum Junkie

VW will catch up sooner or later.......

4. Golfgirl Forum Member

And probably be more expensive too:thumbd:

5. prof Forum Addict

seriously unreliable new models, the reputation isn't what it was

but as for 300bhp 5 seaters, thank the lord :clap: :clap:

just give them 3 years to be cheap enough for me [:D]

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

300bhp in a mk5 ? 260 is enougth

7. Red_TN Forum Member

Now the ford ST... have not had many if any engine probelms...as the engine has been proven and tested for the last 15 odd years now.......

Well i havent herd anything about one coming to us....and we are the biggest ST selling garage in our group......

8. PzKpfw II Forum Member

The new Edition 30 MK5 is out soon with 228 bhp, that's a start

9. superden Forum Addict

Whatever suits my needs, or is the best value for money, or maybe the one I enjoy driving the most ... I certainly wouldnt pick the VW simply because its a VW. The current Golf GTI isnt exactly competitively priced is it. VW build quality always was (and certainly is now) a myth to a degree and all the modern Fords I've been in have been very well put together indeed. Badge snobbery means nothing. Just because someone likes a VW, it doesnt always follow that they are the best car in a given class. Manufacturers always try to raise the standard. Indeed it has been Ford, on many occasions, who have been the manufacturer to do so and others have had to catch up. I'd say the first two Golf GTI incarnations took that step forward, but since then they havent really done anything that stands out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Its not about the power figures. Its about the experience! The delivery of what power is utilised and how the car is able to put that power to the floor and how the car is able to handle with the power provided.

I've got a mk2 valver. Only got about 165 bhp running out of it but the way it delivers the power, and the way it handles is so much funner than cars ive been in with twice as much ooomph under the lid.

Plus I dont really see how useful 300 bhp is for general use, which lets face it, the general market of these modern cars is. I cant even take my car to the end of 3rd without breaking motorway speed limits, and it gets there more than quick enough too.

11. toddygti Forum Member

You guys....

lol... VW are not being left behind. They are currently developing for release next year. The last upgrade on the MK5 chassis before they release the MK6. Do you know what its called.... its the VW R36. 3.6l VR6 producing 300hp on tap. Rumour has they may be offering a supercharged version from their tuning arm VWI, producing nearer 355hp.
    You shouldn't doubt them, they'll always have something up their sleeves. Ford and Vauxhall will rush to release theirs, and its this that will make them rubbish.

Well thats my 2pence worth :)

12. Seraph Banned

13. Southy_GTI Forum Member

oh right...

Anyway the entire Vaux range looks good at present - I wouldnt turn my nose up a vxr.

14. mexicorich Forum Member

Vauxhalls are generally cack to drive
    Ford are the all round competition

15. Kozy Forum Member

VXRs look nice and are blisteringly quick in a straight line. Great, except we live in Britain, not America. 300bhp in a FWD car is too much. I'll take VWs offering on the competition with the R36. Mind you, whats that gonna cost, 40,000?

16. Seraph Banned

i dunno,.... we got some nice Roman roads here and there!

17. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

personally i would take the focus over vxr 2.4 turbo very nice ford do make good chassis and the focuses engin is from a volvo once agaain nice
    BUT and its a big one these motors are all what i call LICENCE SLAYERS !!! and also for that matter probably not much fun within the confines of this countrys speed laws which i think makes them probably rather boring to drive , subarus are the same but if you were caught having any kind of fun it could cost you your licence

give me a car thats all about 0-60 only(maybe 80) every time all these high power cars are just running after what nissan ,subaru and mitsu have been doing for years and not very well E.G if speed was legal ? EVO or VXR and dont lie its evo isnt it ???
    e.g focus ST or IMPEZA STI again its the scooby I think i have made my piont :clap:

i dont know why they bother [:v:]

18. toddygti Forum Member

Nope, A starting price of 25995!

19. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

VW seems to be restricted by the other VAG cars SEAT & Audi

can't make a mental golf incase it takes audi a3 / s3 sales away etc same with seat cupra r

similar thing with the polo gti, 150 bhp when from the same/similar unit they've had much more in cupra leon

probably dont want to steal sales from golf gti

20. jimmy123 Forum Member

polo cup with 180bhp doing the rounds of internet and mags[:D] but will they ever make it?