2.1l 8v twin carb power is it worth it

Discussion in '8-valve' started by atlas2l8v, Jan 18, 2008.

1. atlas2l8v Forum Member

just looking into carbs (bike and 40s/45s) as cant beat that de cluttered engine bay look but is it worth it

My current spec is

2.1 bottom end
    TSR head (not bigger e/valves)
    202 272/268 cam
    Full supersprint system
    Kjet

What power should i expect to get from this when setup properly compared to putting twin carbs on with a xflow head so carbs aint suckin in hot air etc

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I'd expect a real world 153-155hp (128-130 @ the wheels) with that spec. Adding twin Webers (I'd start with a pair of 45's and 34 or 35mm chokes) should get the power up to around 160-165.

If you want more power than that you'll need to upgrade the head spec followed by the cam, though the spec you have should be a very nice road engine.

Dispite what you may have heard or read, having the carbs at the back is'nt such a big problem.. it's not ideal, but not that bad. Fitting a heat shield between the manifolds helps, as does ducting some cool air to the rear of the engine bay.

3. atlas2l8v Forum Member

just the man to reply ;cheers

so keeping my current head and setup fine with the carbs just make sure well cooled. Will it be a lot thirstier for the extra 10bhp il get with carbs ?

Just like the way the carbs setup looks in the engine bay and dont fancy the 1.8t , v6 conversions.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

No probs at all.

There's no denying fuel consumption wont be so good as it is with K-jet, but under normall driving conditions, using the throttle in a sensible manor, and with the carbs set correctly with sensible choke size's, it's not as bad as you'd imagine. If you start stamping on the throttle all the time and keep bringing the pump jets into play then consumption obviously suffers. It depends on what you prepaired to sacrifice for the extra power/looks.

I'm a big carb fan, but if it's an everyday driver I'd stick with the standard injection for road use. If it's a fun/track day toy with the odd bit of road use... ;)

5. atlas2l8v Forum Member

yep guna be road use so think will follow your recommendation and stick with the kjet.

Reading about a better base for the carbs would be the 2l 16v anyway so nothing stopping me building it while the cars on the road then swapping it over

thanks, have a good weekend

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I would.. you've got a good road spec.. though more power is possible if you wanted to go that route.

No, nothing at all.. Though obviously carbs will still use more fuel under the conditions as above even on a 16v.

Thanks, I'll do my best, though 12-14 hour shifts arnt always fun..:lol:

7. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

why don't you go for bike carbs as they have variable slide chokes and no pump jets they should be better on fuel(i hope i fitting them to my valver:lol: )

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

What's your fuel consumption like at the moment? my 2.1 when it was last on the road was 15-20mpg :lol: , 160bhp 155fp torque.

2.1 TSR engine with long stroke balanced crank, pack 'c' head = gas flowed ported & polished with 40.5mm inlet valves 35mm ex valves, TSR203 cam - duration = 282.....lift = 11.6.....(Fast Road/Club Sport) & piper vernier pulley, bronz phosphor valve guides,hi-flow 1.6 metering head & drilled box & k&n filter, k-star series II system, 19 row oil cooler, power rohr pipe, gas flowed inlet manifold & audi throttle body, ansa 4-1 exhaust manifold mated to 2.5" custom made stainless steel exhaust.

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

feck[:s] i hope i manage to get more mpg more than that when its finished, altho with megasquirt it should be better than kjet. i hope.

10. atlas2l8v Forum Member

drunkenalan correct. mine aint on road yet so not tested fuel economy :-)

holy s h * t my mk4 v64mo was that crap on fuel ahhaha

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

I used to get 215 miles on a full tank.

12. CA121 Forum Member

i'm getting about 5mpg from my 2.1 8v.
    but i'm flat out in 2nd gear all the time.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Blo%dy hell Mike... you need a race cam and some 48's... :lol: I can get mid 25's when pootleing about.. and about low 30's at a steady 70 when coming back from an event after some thieving c%$t nicked my dolly a couple of years ago.