#2 Accidental Rally Mk2 Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by retrowhore, Feb 23, 2011.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

In my obsessive hunt for an early white Mk2 3dr 8v GTi I came across a car on Ebay and chucked a random bid on it a few days ago, expecting it to go for around a grand like most of them seem to be doing. I have grand plans to build a rally replica of the early Mk2 VWMS cars - visually similar but with modern, achievable spec levels for street/trackday use.

Imagine my surprise to find I won the auction for less than half that tonight :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The listing reads like this and I have highlighted the interesting bits:

"
    VW Golf Gti MK2 1.8 8V 3 DOOR - No Reserve

My other half has owned this car for the last 7 years and in this time it has been a great little car.

We have bought a 5 door focus as we now have a little one and the golf would not have been practical enough.

It was driven regularly until we changed cars and although It has stood for a few months I do turn the engine over regularly.

The good bits:

Mileage is 132270, (K-Jetronic Injection) engine still pulls well

Team Dynamics 16" alloys with BF Goodrich 195/45/R16 tyres still with some tread on them.

22mm Master Cylinder, Goodrich Braided hoses, Brembo Discs, Pagid Fast Road Pads and MK4 Rear Calipers.

Bilstein Gaz Shocks and GSF 40mm lowered springs

New Radiator and Hoses.

Regular oil and filter changes.

The Bad Bits:

Front windscreen is cracked and needs replacing.

Front Bumper mounting is broken on bumper (not car!), Front Splitter broken

Both front window winder mechanisms need replacing as cabling has snapped.

Drivers Side door handle needs attention.

A few bits or surface rust which you can see in the pictures.

No Tax or MOT

If you're interested I have the original set of 14" cross spokes with tyres in my parents garage and can probably dig out the fog lights to fit the front bumper. I'm also leaving a CD player and pair of Rockford Fosgate Mids and Tweeters with crossovers in the car. You are more than welcome to come and have a look at the car. I'm at work during the day but available in the evening or at the weekend.

Car is being sold for spares or repairs, it's not mint but it has been solid and reliable since we bought it and will be a god project for someone with a bit more time on their hands than me.

Many thanks for looking."

I don't know if I have made a good move or bad - a close inspection of the car when it arrives will reveal more - but even as a parts car it should be worth what I paid in parts. The wheels will go on my wifes Mk3 cab and the ICE gear, BBS rims, late grille and big bumpers will be sold on.

I'll post more images on delivery but for now here is a pic of my motivational icon. It came in the post this morning ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. Willber Forum Member

Make sure you have a really really good poke round it with a screwdriver. Drop the petrol tank and have a look at the filler neck/inner wing. If it's pretty rust free then it sounds like a good base for a project

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

nice one, and what a great idea for a project, looks nice and straight and the advert sounds quite honest. good luck and keep posting updates as your project progresses:thumbup:

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Strange to have quarter lights on an E plate car, should have one piece windows, has the early interior as well [:s] Doesn't look too bad for the money though :thumbup:

5. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Some E platers did have the small windows etc it was the cross over date

Looks good that nice idea for a project be good to see this one :thumbup:

6. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Looks great for the cost - not unusual at all to have early spec on an E.

7. retrowhore Forum Member

The car will be very much a base to start from. Primarily I'm hoping the shell is decent as there may soon be developments of a more interesting nature.

Anyway today's new is the NOS Ebay find front grille arrived. I wasn't expecting much for a tenner but an early GTI grille (twin headlamp, red strip) in new condition, still in the box with new Carello spots and wiring kit?

How chuffed am I!

8. retrowhore Forum Member

Well the car arrived today. The shell isn't perfect but I stuck it straight in for a test to find out what was actually wrong in a big way.

It failed on:

-Cracked windscreen
    -Seized rear brake compensator
    -Rear discs and pads
    -3" square hole in floor (badly jacked)
    -Bulbs
    -Fuel pump leak

I also noted a rotten o/s wheel arch (3 inches worth) and some rot around the bottoms of the windscreen pillar where the sunroof pipes exit.

The MOT work listed is being attended to with the emphasis on making the floor welding very tidy. I already had a spare fuel pump in stock so that's no loss.

On a happier note the car came with 16" TSW alloys with good tyres and a set of 14" BBS RJ's with mint tyres, Custom speaker pods in the door panels (for sale!), Rockford Fosgate component speakers, Kenwood CD head unit, spare calipers, Goodrich hoses, new exhaust, new balljoints and more.

I'll post pics up soon. It's covered in mould where it has been stood but looks remarkably straight for the money. MFA and all the electrics worked. Started and ran first time too.

Fingers crossed - might have a good one and enough spares to sell on to get the price down to 200ish

9. retrowhore Forum Member

A little update. The car is still at the garage as they are a mechanic down and the work is 2 days behind [:s]

I'm a bit gutted but other projects (loft conversion, summer house, wife's MK3 cab) are keeping me occupied in the day. In the evening I am doing some research into Gp.N and Gp.A rally Golfs which is proving very interesting.

I'm intending to build a car based on the David Sutton 'VW Junior Rally Cup' series of Mk2's like this one:

[​IMG]

The other part of my long term plan is to use my VW T3 Syncro as a tow/support vehicle - with matching livery just like the four vans used in the series. I've been messing with Photoshop to get an idea for how it might look. Here I have applied the livery as well as some Ronal wheels and a custom 'Sport Quattro' style grille for some period style. These might not make their way onto the van but the livery has to.

[​IMG]

Comments welcomed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011