2 litre 8v gti performance.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Rogerdodger, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mboy New Member

How much are remaps for Mk 3 8vs ??

2. Laner Forum Member

got a huge twin cone green filter on my gti 8v, found that it was terrible once the engine heated up, the inlet temp was in the 20-40 range unlike with the standard box which was about 10-15.

So i got under my old 1.8 and yanked off a section of exhaust heat shielding cut it to shape and buffed it up, and apart from a few adjustments it looks v.cool and it's got the temp back down to the 15 area except on really hope days.

so in my opinion cone filters are good IF you can sort out the intake temp otherwise panel filter [:D]

3. gtmullins New Member

hi there fellow dubbers! i have just recently joined club gti i own a mk3 2.0 8v gti. wanted a gti since i was about 14 now i've got one i'm stuck! not knowning alot about the engine i was wondering what is the best oil i can run it on and what little tweaks i can do to it from standard to get more out of it. any help would be great. :thumbup:

4. neilt Forum Member

Quantum Silver from vw 25 5Litres The VW oil filters cheap too
    panel filter, my vw paper ones fine. replace all tubing around throttle body/inlet manifold and make sure no vac leaks - use metal fuel line clips
    ecu and fuel pump relays
    then fit a cat back exhaust

5. mk28vICED Forum Member

nitrous is your best option if using this engine in a heavy mk3 or 4

6. Pete Mk1 New Member

What HP is achievable?

Am considering a 2.0L 8V conversion for my Mk1. The 1600 is coming out and i am looking to put a 2.0l bottom end combined with 1.8 gti head with cam,exhaust and twin 45 webbers as part of the package. Any body done anything similar? And if so what hp could one expect?
    Any feed back much appreciated as i am in the land down under and as a golf/vw owner we are the minority in this country.
    Pete Mk1

7. Tweeds New Member

Where the hell can i do that and how much will it cost me for all the parts cos i have a 2.0 8v!!!

lol

8. timah89 Forum Member

the cones are a nightmnare, had many a weekend trying to sort something out to help it work properly when the engine gets warm, all it does it juts suck in the warm air and make the car feel like a slug.

Finally sorted it out this weekend, created about a million ways for cold air to continuosly come to the cone, seems to have done the job, nextthing to do is to create some kind of a shiel to block the main area of hot air attacking it, but without blocking off any cold air supply.

glad to see so many people have this problem. If i had just bought a mk3, keep the panel filter, just upgrade to a K&N or something, io had that setup before, worked mint!!!

The next thing i need to get the induction working to its best is the egine remap and super chip. make it worth the while actually having the induction on!

9. chris hall New Member

hi,i have a mk4 2.0 8v gti,and wanted that bit more from the engine.So i made a few mods and fitted a rotrex supercharger,from storm developments.last weekend it made a true 257 bhp on the storm rolling road.not bad for an 8v motor.will see how well it goes at gti spring festival.if you want to know more,phone andy @ storm developments