2 litre block suitable for G60...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by darnold4, Nov 4, 2004.

1. darnold4 Forum Member

ok, repeat question probably but the search is shee-ite at the moment.

I am intending to build a 2.0 G60 8v engine.

(I know there are other engine options but this particular one is what I'm asking about)

do I:

a) rebore the G60 block and fit EIP forged pistons/rods/crank

or

b) use an existing VAG 2.0 block and bolt up the G60 head, charger and accessories,and somehow make it "stronger" and low compression

or

c) secret alternative way of making a 2.0 G60.

I know there can be cooling issues but I'm hoping to address this. I just want the least complex, most reliable and cost-effective way of building this particular engine.

I don't want 16v or crossflow 8v(AC and RHD means I can't fit the alternator anywhere)

Please discuss freely...
    Edited by: darnold4

2. alby Forum Junkie

i know its not 2 liter but my mate has a fresh bored pg block etc.works out just short of 1900.just needs puting back together.could always lighten/balance before hand.

he was going to do a mk1 g60 but gave up on the project.

3. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Didnt the turbo technics engines only have stronger pistons? What i mean is the block is surly strong enough anyway so a set of forged pistons and a copper head gasket to sort out the compression..

Just starting the discussion.. [:D]

4. setgti Forum Member

I'm building a 1.9L G60 on a 1.8L ABG block with JE 82.5mm forged 8.5:1 pistons and forged rods all from Bildon Motorsports. Keeping stock stroke. I'm not sure that there is all that much power-wise to be gained by increasing the capacity with a positive displacement supercharger, although the G60 output pressure will be lower for the same flow rate which will require less drive for a bit of extra power at the wheels. Same goes for hot cam, flowing, big valves, ITBs etc. I really don't know how much effective extra power that adds up to. Cylinder pressures will be lower though which will probably be good for reliability. The only reason I'm going for overbore pistons is because the cylinder bores need honing anyway. Your money would probably be better spent getting those 17000rpm bearings from bar-tek-tuning.de http://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/lshop,showdetail,1099614667-267 15,d,1099614685-26728,g-lader.1080321201,1100007,,Tshowrub-- g-lader.1080321201,.htm and going for a small pulley.

Balancing and lighening would be good though.

5. G60JAY New Member

A cheap way out is to just use a standard 2e or something similar block.If you can find a nice low milage one all the better and just put a spacer gasket in there. Then just fit the g60 head and ancillaries to it.
    There are a few small things to sort out as it`s a tall block but all easy stuff. I did this myself a few years ago and it never missed a beat :)

6. rradogolfman Forum Member

the amaericans are using a lump called an ABA, if theres a Uk equivalent of this seems it would be a perfect candidiate