2000 miles and 2.5 litres of oil...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MetallicMunky, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MetallicMunky Forum Member

2000 miles ago I did a full oil and filter change on the golf. Today when I was hooning it around a corner trying to get back for the (shyte) England vs Algeria game my oil sensor buzzed like a demonic rampant rabbit. I checked the oil after the game when the car was cold and I'm showing below the minimum line.

A friend of mine ran a G60 for a while and his burnt 1l to every 700 miles.

Just wondered if you found this to be normal and if I should unclog the breathers (wherever they are, the haynes manual sucks!) or if its a more serious problem like piston rings?

Cars done 104000 miles, 8v 1990 GTi just for reference.

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Mine burns a bit, about half a litre every 500 or so miles, I wouldn't worry hugely, it's not uncommon on an old dub. They used a bit even when new

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

my daily does about half a litre every 1000 miles, but that is mainly motorway miles, i do give it a good blast every now and again, make sure your oil cooler isnt leaking(the inner seal tends to give up) and your oil filter is tight enough as these will cause a little leakage.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

No noticeable blue smoke when driving?

Check and clean your PCV valve and the hose that runs to the intake pipe. Also clean the rocker cover gauze.

What oil did you put in? Can make a lot of difference....

5. dave18 Forum Member

FOOOOKING HELL, how much oil you lossing, i drive both water and aircooled dubs and trust me when your loosing that much oil especialy on a aircooled you can see where its comming from.

Would take the rocker cover off and clean out the gauze thats in the top ( thats your breather) Then i would get some Autoglym Engine cleaner and give the whole engine a good going over with it then try and see if you can see where its comming from. if the engine is oil tight then look at your exhaust gasses.

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I'd say thats an excessive amout of oil to be losing.

Check your exhaust, I bet your smoking a little and losing oil through the rings.

7. dave18 Forum Member

Check your coolant too might be getting mixed in with it.

8. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Way way way too much oil loss - oily spark plugs will indicate worn piston rings.

9. nimbus dare Forum Member

my valver does a LOT of oil. but never smoked and its putting out good power.

they are known to drink a fair bit.

i dont really bother with oil changes since its like im constantly doing one :lol:

10. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Never had a MK2 that has used oil. Unless it had: a leak, a 212,000 mile turbo or knackered stem seals. I personally think 0.5 ltr every 1000 miles is still too much.

11. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Mine does not use any oil either granted only does about 1500 miles a year but I do a oil change every year before I take it out the garage for summer ands it has always been on max 16v 1.8 kr

12. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Still worth doing as although you are using oil, all the crap and bits of metal will still be in your engine ;)

13. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

It does seem high. It is either valve stem seals or rings. You dont have any oil leaks?

14. MetallicMunky Forum Member

I know I've got a minor oil leak on the sump plug (as like a numpty I couldn't be bothered to change it :p) Theres no noticable blue or black smoke from the exhaust so firstly I'll clean the gauze and check the spark plugs. Cheers for the advice!

15. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Could have something to do with it. When the engine is running and driving it might leak more compared to when its parked up. The the underside of your car covered in oil?

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

both my 8v and 16v lumps had a tiny pinhole in the sump. didnt leak when car off only when car is running, and only a small amount. both times i got lucky and happened to spot as i glanced underneath while engine was running

17. MetallicMunky Forum Member

Yeah it does, to be fair I didn't think of that :( What a noob! It's going to have a full flush done next month so hopefully I'll be able to iron out it's an my mistakes :p