2012 Polo GTI 1.4 TSI - PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by kp62ews, Oct 10, 2013.

1. kp62ews New Member

Hi I bought a pre reg vw polo gti on a 62 plate. had it a few months now and occasionally I can pull away and the car stutters majorly, what is this or is the dsg confused, needing a software update?

otherwise how much oil do you guys go through im about a litre 800-1000 miles

cheers

calum

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've had two friends reject cars with this engine
    One was a golf and the other a polo gti
    The polo had high oil consumption and problems with the dsg
    The golf had a misfire and lack of power due to low compression
    Due to bore wash from faulty injectors

I can find out how much oil the polo used

3. nonamecc79 New Member

I had a similar problem with my Polo GTi 60 plate where under hard acceleration the car would stutter and the EPC and engine management light would flash. Turned out that the problem was a weak engine and spark plug issue. VW wanted 6k for a new engine block!!!

I normally go through a litre in about 500 - 600 miles but with mixed driving.

Have you remapped or done any mods?? Do any lights flash on the dash?? Does the car go into limp mode??

4. MUSHY 16V

that sounds like my friends golf he got a new bottom end after 6 months the garage did more miles in it than he did lol
    the new one lasted a very short time only a few k

the friend with the polo gti it used litre every 800 miles
    he tryed to trade it in to Audi they refused even though vw said there was nothing wrong with it
    it this point he rejected the car and got his money back less about 100 not bad after a year

5. nonamecc79 New Member

Mine only lasted 2 months/ 3000 miles O.o The spark plug melted into the cylinder and the piston smashed it through the head!! There was a hole the that cylinder and th other 3 where drenched in petrol and had low compression.

6. MUSHY 16V

Bar the melted plug that's the same as my friends golf
    The second bottom end lasted something like a 1000 miles

7. nonamecc79 New Member

Why are these engines so problematic?? Is it because of the high power output or poor design?? :s

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

they did have some major issue IMO on the first load of engines, the over heating/miss firing/ cracking pistons all fixed with a software update (remap to us)

The oil consumption is an interesting one, the first technical fix is to check the oil control ring is on the right way/replace the rings & monitor the oil consumption!
    I would of thought anyone with one of these with issues should get intouch with VW customer care, I would of thought there will be a load of good will if it's out of warranty!
    on the first visit to the dealer it will prob get the oils checked & recorded direct with VW then asked to go drive 1000 miles!

9. nonamecc79 New Member

Remaps void the warranty :/ They originally wanted 6k to replace the whole block but after persistent nagging, I managed to get a rebuild done for 2.5k. I can only assume they used the stronger bits from the CTHE block and kept most of the bits from the CAVE block. 3700 miles in; so far so good. Just a bit of rough idle on a cold start.

OP try checking your sparks for deposits. When mine broke they said there was excessive amounts of fuel left on the plugs.

10. kp62ews New Member

Mines is rough as a dog when first started, its still doing the cutting out on hard acceleration but no lights appear on the dash?

11. kp62ews New Member

No Mods and no lights nor any limp mode :thumbd:

12. dikko3012 New Member

I have been going through a bit of oil myself with mine, i think its just because it is supercharged and turbo'd

13. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

My Mrs has just bought a 2014 Polo GTI 1.4. I hope all these problems have been sorted out !!

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I've been keeping an eye on my Mrs Polo GTI since she got it.

It hasn't been drinking any oil, and to be honest has been a great little car. :thumbup: