20v Port Sizes Comparison Here

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Vento Mike, Nov 23, 2007.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

not in my opinion. port your smallport if you want a little more port size, but you will loose some mid range and maybe gain a little up top... move the power up the rev band.
    K0x turbo and manifold is your restrictions..... not port size as such at those power/airflow levels

2. mk1steve Forum Member

in your opinion what is a good power level to start porting on 1.8ts

3. badger5

350+ (its an arbitrary number)
    options of porting smallport to close to largeport size
    OR
    AGU/ADR largeport head.

On my 320bhp IHI Ibiza I went ported smallport early on, and it lost some low to mid range but gave some top end.. rob peter to pay paul

My current setup is ported largeport with a whole bunch of other parts to facilitate "total flow" through the motor.

>500bhp levels now when required. Restriction is once again the turbo not the associated parts.

4. mk1steve Forum Member

silly question are the gaskets different for the small port compared to large port??

5. Fenn Forum Member

Is there any reason why you can't use an AEB large port head?

diffrent cams?

6. badger5

yes. ones smaller than the other :lol:

7. badger5

n/a cams are different to turbo ones yes - they fit but are quite different profiles

8. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

note..a few new pics on page1

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

On most turbo applications small port is better anyway..

As Bill said unless your running very high levels of boost/large turbo applications and or revving you engine highly then small port is the better head.. the smaller port creates the torque, which is was you after anyway.. Cars which have the larger port heads create more power (in the correct application), but for a smaller window in the rev range, higher for exmaple.

Whereas the smaller port headed cars have a wider power band. Especially inthe K0x applications, no mattter what 're-map' you have.. Especially for street use..

On a race engine where your constantly in the higher rev range, then large port becomes a more attractive option..

10. jc.. Forum Member

interesting post on vortex where someone has chopped a small port and large port through the chamber to show the meat around the short side radius and throat that you can cut out when porting.
    it is possible to pretty much replicate the large port cross section on a ported small port (that make sense!?)

personally I am sticking with a small port (with very mild porting) on a 2l built bottom end and GT2871. Expecting circa 350 but i want the low down/mid range torque as its a quattro A4.

11. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Have you got the link to the thread? [:D]

12. badger5

wider power band on smallport?
    nah....

4K to 8.5K rpm of maximum attack power and power still climbs on my largeport..
    the point being the whole package is the determining thing, not one component like head

13. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Much agreed Bill, with a larger turbo such as yours (gt30?35?) most definatly, what i am refering to is for example if you were to bolt a large port head on an otherwise stock Ko'x' powered car then the powerband would be over a smaller rev range, but higher up?..
    Money would be much better spent on cooling charge temps..

8.5k, what cams are you running? Cat cams?

14. jc.. Forum Member

15. badger5

yea special grind catcams.
    supertech valves and springs,Ti retainers etc, but still got hydro top end else I would let it rev higher.. peak power is at peak rpm and still climbing. and thats on my current turbo which is being replaced for a larger unit over the winter