20vt conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by crunchie, Aug 3, 2010.

1. crunchie New Member

Hi guys. I've been doing a bit of digging to find info on the 20vt conversion and thought id ask you guys too. I'd be looking to fit a std BAM i think to leave scope for other mods later possibly. Cost me 2k exchange to replace the girlfriends S3 engine at the start of the year, painfull!!!! I realise this aint the cheapest way to go about it however. Im looking for suggestions as to where i can get it done and a rough cost. I realise i could buy one already converted but it took me AGES to find the MK2 i have now and i would need to keep it till i die if it were to be worth it lol. Any suggestions or places to avoid also would be appreciated. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

My only advice on this is..
    Find somewhere to store all the original parts taken out. You have a serious future classic there (if not already) and if you still have it in 10 years time will be kicking yourself if can't return it to standard as you binned the original parts, as by that time an original 16v will be worth far more than the 20VT conversion. (No need to actually put it all back stock, just have the parts in storage to go with the car)

3. crunchie New Member

You may have a point there! The other option was carbs/throttle bodies. i really hope i still have it in 10 years but i think most folk think that dont they! Its always garaged and never used in the rain, never welded. Hopefully i can keep her for ever!

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you're concerned about the resale of a classic, maybe you shouldn't be modding. Keep the standard engine. Or Are you not able to do the work yourself? Would only cost you time and tools.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

cheap option... store your very clean mk2 and buy another that just needs tweaking.. some mk2 20vts are very expensive for what they are but I got mine with a k04 conversion plus alot of other tasty mods for just over 4k... and with reciepts for about 9k of bits and bobs! so I would seriously consider going that route

6. paultownsend Forum Member

lovely car. what wheels are they?

7. crunchie New Member

Thats a plan, dont really have storage at the mo for an extra one. something the future maybe tho.

Thanks. Thay are 16x7 BBS RX214's wearing 195/45/16's. ET35 i think.

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

if you are looking for a drive in drive out conversion budget on 7k easy for a good one thats been thought out.

if you are doing it your self its a bit cheaper but will take longer...it might well be easier to just get a 180bhp engine from a octavia etc and then fit the k04 bits and bobs or even just a 180bhp engine running qpeng is peppy... remps to 220-230ish... so no less than a stock BAM and they cost less as you dont pay scene tax as much. plus theres the option of a shallow sump on the ko3(s) turbo engined cars... but still budget on 3-4k eassssy for the engine, loom and bits + you will need chassic upgrades ie bigger brakes, making sure it poly bushed, good anti roll bars and tyres etc etc (its the little bits that cost but make all the differance!)