21 yr old, new driver Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by wadeyuk, Mar 25, 2004.

1. wadeyuk New Member

Hi Guys,

Im looking to buy a mates Mk2 golf GTI 1.8 8v off him and want to find a cheap insurer. Im due to have my test at the end of month (3rd time lucky i hope) and wanted to test around for some insurance quotes. Any ideas of companies that would take on a 21 year old new driver with a golf gti 1.8 8v, mods include k + n filter, gti exhaust, lowered. Also has a toad immobiliser and cobra cat l alarm.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ps ive requested a quote from Adrian Flux already with mdos declared so any other companies??

Thanks in advance

2. Bat. Forum Member

/Old fart mode despite being the same age as you.

Don't do it mate. Having a powerful car as a new driver is a very bad idea. The thing to do is buy a small engined cheap car to properly learn in. Something like a 1.3 Mk2 Golf or Polo is ideal.

I know it sounds dead boring, but paying throught he nose to insure a GTI as a new driver with no NCB is a major risk. You will lack the experience to control the car properly, and when you do wrap it round a tree you can say goodbye to any chance of having a nice car for a good long while.

You've failed your test twice so I'm taking the assumption that you don't have much experience even as a learner.

Be safe and build up some NCB mate. It will pay serious dividends.
    Edited by: Bat.

3. wadeyuk New Member

Well i've been driving around every day with family and friends for 14 month so i have the experience, only reason i have failed is cos ive learnt to drive and not learnt to actually pass my test. I was thinking about getting a smaller engine but it's just finding a car thats worth buying second hand.

4. Bat. Forum Member

Fair play mate, but what really counts is the experience you get on your own after passing. Making mistakes and learning how to avoid accidents.

I always find the best place for decent cars is in my local papers. There are always plenty of cheap Golfs and Polos in there.

The insurers really will take the mick on a modded GTI for a new driver.

You can always add styling mods to a small engined Golf, then move them over in a couple of years onto a GTI.

5. wadeyuk New Member

Yea suppose. Not really much i can say when its down to the insurer. I'll keep looking for a nice cr@p car to get me going a year. Might try blagg my brother to pick up the Golf GTI so i can buy it off him in a year lol.

6. seanlazyass Forum Member

Alrite mate, Im 21 & just bought my 1st GTI, but iv been drivin since I was 17 & driven all sorts of vehicles fast & slow! Plus im starting my advanced training.

I defo agree wit Bat. u shud start on a less powerful car & learn how 2 drive properly on ur own. Its totally different being on ur own to having an observer. I started driving in a Ford Ka which was great. It was nice & light so handled really well but wasnt powerful at all. Buy a slower golf, do ur cosmetic mods on it then u can always transfer them over 2ur GTI in a year or so. if ur Bro will buy the GTI then great but even afta only a year its not v long 2 gain much experience.

just remember u dont want 2 ruin ur chances of having a GTI in the future if u buy1 & rite it off within ur 1st year!

Sean

7. wadeyuk New Member

Yea i know thats exactly what i dont want. Gonna go with the sensible option. Even though i have managed to find a quote for 1000 [:s]

8. Alpine White New Member

Im 21 one and on my 2nd gti, have no no claims and one claim, just got covered by elephant for 550 tpft on a bonus accelerator scheme. Have had my licence for 4 yrs though, and its still clean,(How?).Id agree with bat though and go for a smaller motor, i went through a selection of 1.3 and 1.6's before getting gti(about 7 to be precise). Even on those the insurance will be fairly steep.

9. TommyT Forum Member

I drove a Nissan Micra J reg (Old Skool) for a year after passing my test 2 months after my 17th.

Gave me a lot of experiance of the road.

Now just coming up to driving my 1.6 Driver for one year. Ampley quick car for my age.

TT