225/50/15 track tyres tyres on a golf/jetta

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by pascal77uk, Dec 10, 2006.

1. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

i have picked up a set of pirelli p zero competition dry tyres ( ex porsche hill climb car) comprising of x2 225/50/15 and x2 205/50/15 nearly new for 5,

ive used the same tyres but ex vw cup on my mk1 205/45/16 with a et of 25 for over a year and found them to have excellent grip

im planing to fit the 225's on a 8x15 steel rim et 25 on the front of my jetta track car 205s on the rear. im not worried about arch clearance as i will modify them to suit and have spoken to a few people about this and they say it would be fine but i wondered if anyone had any experience with 225 front tyres, pros, con etc

many thanks

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

should be allright, but maybe need G60 arches up front with ET25 8x15's
    I know the Jetta had modded rear arches when it ran 205-40-16's on it on ET35 7.5x16 rims

3. Jettin' Forum Member

To all you MOT testers,

Can you run wider tyres on the front than the back? I thought they had to be the same size or narrower.

Cheers,

Chris

4. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

cheers bill

jettin' the mk1 pasted a mot a couple of years back with 195/45/15 tyres on the front and 185/60/14 on the rear. i think as long as each axel has the same size tyres and the same speed rating its ok.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The rule is bigger tyres on the rear only (technically...).

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

ah! should be ok for the track tho

chris have you any experience running that width of tyre with a et of 25 on a fwd car.
    would appreciate you comments
    thanks mike

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There are two schools of thought. I've run ET35s, with 10mm spacer, so I've done ET25 (purely to clear calipers).

The theory goes that more offset alters the tendency for a car to tramline, force x distance stuff from the outer edge of the tyre to the position of the steering arm on the hub. The theorists point to not meddling with the geometry, but the Berg Cup cars all fly in the face of this with their wide track set ups, though they're high-end hobbyists really.

The thing is, most people are going to use wheels they're sat on anyway, so if that's the case, give it a try.

8. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

MOT wise I was told same size on same axle is their criteria (wondering how space savers fit into that scenario, buts thats only temporary I spose)

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

ive got the tyres and a set of g60 steels to use but havent picked up the 2 8x15 steels yet. they are available in different offsets whats the largest offset i could get away with without causing the tyre to foul on the suspension unit, bilsteins not coilovers?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's probably better to check it visually ie check how much room you've got now + your present ET, and work backwards on the 8J proposed rims to see how much rim you could have further inwards - anyone commenting would probably be guessing.

Effectively for the same ET as you start with, you'd need another half inch clearance on the inner edge to go from 7J to 8J etc.

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

thats what i thought. :thumbup:

when i was thinking of fitting them to the mk1 i calculated that i would need a et of 25, but that was with coilovers. i will do some trial fitting with a set of 205/45/16 tyres on a et25 rim and see how it looks, simular rolling radius and offset
    i also i alllowed 8mm for tyre felx do you think this will be enough?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  12. paul_c Forum Member

Spare wheels/tyres are not part of the MoT. If a car is type approved to use a space saver, then it is legal to use on the car.