239 Brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Dub Nutta, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Ok forget about upgrading to bigger discs, what is the best 239 setup you can have on a road car.

What discs, groved/drilled/ or combi, what pads, Mintex, Pagid, Hawk road pads.

just wondering what people have found to be the best way to make the 239's work.

What high temp brake fluid do people recomend, i was thinking about AP racing fluid.

Thanks

2. jprocter Forum Member

R urs vented or solid disks at the mo as u can upgrade them to vented.

3. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Solid, but yes I am planning on upgrading to vented discs.

4. randomguy82 Forum Member

I use pagid fast road pads with brembo 239s and find them to be very good for what they are. I had zimmerman discs before and for the money they are very good but will eventually crack with some hard use.

5. damogti Forum Junkie

I had Zimmerman X-drilled discs and Pagid FR pads on my 8v before i upgraded to 280mm and they were very good. No fade or anything i had no problems with cracking etc.....

6. Enigmatik33 Forum Member

dub nutta, 2 guys in out region upgraded to vented discs and then used the 22mm master cylinder and larger servo from a passat/16v mk2 gti and they have great brakes now.

7. AndrewD Forum Member

Best setup I had was Black Diamond grooved disks with Ferodo 3466F pads ... although that was some years ago, and maybe I wasn't as hard on the brakes in those days.

Don't underestimate the benefits of running some ducting from under the front of the car to blow cool air into the centre of the disk.

A

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

[:^:]i think he wants to upgrade the polo not the mk1 golf

9. Dub Nutta Forum Member

LOL @ altern8, yeah I jsut got some 285's with 16v calipers on the Mk1, which are nice :). Polo's a bit scary cause it hasn't got a servo, i was just wondering what pad and disc conbinations people have found best when using 239X20 discs.

I have found some calipers from a pre 88 audi 80 sport that have a bigger piston than the Mk2 8v type ones, jsut gots see if I can get some decent pads to fit them.