26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Thanks I check that out. Could well be as the donor mk3 golf wasnt actually a 16v so who knows what came from where!
    Also just noticed your number 1 lead dont reach... same as mine as I fitted the incorrect hall sender which required me to turn the distributor shaft 180 out. In turn I had to swap my leads to the same position yours are in now...

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You must have posted that when I was writing the thread lol

Thanks for the kind words.
    Lots of the parts fitted to JENVEE are there to solve specific reasons. Glad you liked how everything is coming together so far.
    Your car was pretty stripped which helped in response. The engine I could feel, is a healthy standard unit with around 155+bhp@6k+ and around maximum acceleration between 4-5k and a rev cut at the std 6950rpm. The extra urge from mine is due to the level of torque both from the engine and axle.

Hope the other questions were answered in my last post.

If not feel free to ask away!

:thumbup:

3. TrackCab16v Forum Member

dam good power on the stock motor especially the tourqe:thumbup: good overaul job eddie , best engine for a trackday toy imo :thumbup:

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Notice any difference with the extra caster Eddie?

5. Toyotec

Cheers Paul!

Oh and your stuff now finally runs!;)

6. Toyotec

Subjectively the car feels better than ever before for turn in and exit on track.
    But it is difficult to know what part the eccentric rear wishbone bushes have played in terms of corner speed turn in, balance and exit, as they form part of a package.
    As a package I am hoping to take it to Lydden Hill next year and compare with my 8v set up, which was: a stock 020 gearbox, no front ARB, current FKs suspension, current camber and toe settings, crap tires.

We will see.

7. Toyotec

JENVEE first ABF Trackday and prep.

It is September morning of Curby. I get a telephone call early from Gurds about his turbo tomato soup thing. It appeared to have developed a strange 'rpm cut' post 3000rpm and ramping into boost. The time taken to find the problem, meant we would be very late for Curby. So that trip was cancelled and we went to Taks to help him prepare his MK2, with a R32 ankor motor, as we had another trackday booked for the following day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once work on Taks' car had progressed, I turned to JENVEE to update the brakes with some DS3000 jobs.

[​IMG]

Job done, Taks brought out this IRON X product to give the wheels a once over.

[​IMG]

I very much doubt these things work but some time later...

[​IMG]

Looks all new.

[​IMG]

:clap: - Cheers Taks!

We head to the local shops and take some pictures of Taks R32 project and JENVEE after completing our preparation works.

[​IMG]

Rambow and I left, heading for home in West London but not before dropping off Ram by his project.

[​IMG]

Subjectively, JENVEE felt all good and ready for the following day.

Trackday Bedford.

I picked up Henry (3hrity8ight) over in Didcot and after a pretty spirited drive across the A43, we arrived at a very wet Bedford Autodrome

My custom 2.5inch exhaust system still resulted in a noise test pass i.e. 87dB@4600rpm.

Unfortunately my tires sets were not complete in time and the car was driven on the road combination of Uniroyals Rainsport 2 in Front and P6000s at the rear. Not ideal!

Henry then set the tire pressure to compromise.

[​IMG]

With the car emptied of support gear and our sighting laps out if the way, I was first out, with Henry giving useful instruction from the passenger seat. He said the best time to learn to drive on a track is in the wet.

Something was not right though, as I struggled to keep the back end from wagging its tail. I continued the take instruction but then I had a big off.
    Thankfully the 'off' was in a big run off area and the car had no damage expect to lose one half of the OE chin spoiler. So after a check we were back on the track looking a bit like a lawn mower.

[​IMG]

However the car was still very hard to drive as the back was happy to snap, resulting in many the opposite lock and butt clinching moments. However as Colin McCrae said, when in doubt go flat out , so I did just that.

To let my instructor understand what I was experiencing, the car was handed over to him to have a go.
    We played around with the tire pressures and then went out.
    After a couple big counter steer moments Henry thought it was a bit lively LOL and pretty much like his race car in the wet expect softer and much quicker.
    The ATB diff did make a difference to the experience as well. He was much more experienced than me and kept it straight at much higher speeds, where I would have certainly had a big moment of running out of talent.

So after that impression, we headed back into the pits.

Roy 8v, another MK2 racer, was also with us and suggested strongly to fit his R888 race car tires to JENVEE.

[​IMG]

After a small decision between us 3, we swapped the rear P6000s off the car and fitted Roys R888s.

Henry, the last man to drive the car went out with myself as a passenger. There was an instant difference. The car stopped stepping out, in fact Henry started to build up enough pace such that the front Rainsport 2 tires were becoming a limitation with walls flexing and blocks moving under punishment. So we went back to the pits and swapped over to the fronts from Roys race car as well. Now the car was on a full set of R888s.

[​IMG]

I went out after this and for the first time ever I was able to drive it like I stole it. I was always concerned with using R888s in the wet but the conclusion in this specific example was, my rear tyres had gone off and though I had used them on my at Lydden Hill experience in the dry, R888s were better than plastic P6000s that were fitted to JENVEE.

I enjoyed the experience immensely as well as the performance of my 171bhp ABF motor along with the updates since the car was an 8v.
    Thanks to JENVEE for covering over 200miles of road use and countless laps on track, with my Megasquirted ABF unit never missing a beat!

A video of the day to summarise the trackday drives, will soon follow this post [:D]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Roy and Henry for their assistance/advise on the day :thumbup: Thanks to Gurds, Ram and Taks in the prepwork the day before :clap:

Thanks to all who attended that day as well.

[​IMG]

:clap::clap:

Later that week and back in daily guise, I replace the rear tires to make the car have Uniroyal Rainsport 2 rubber all around.

[​IMG]

P6000s off :thumbd:

[​IMG]

Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on :thumbup:

[​IMG]

In the next segment:

• A slipping clutch gets rectified
    • The car gets further suspension updates
    • My exhaust gets better supported.
    • And I take the car out to Brands Hatch for a another trackday of learning in the wet.

Stay tuned Stay optimised. :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Grrrreat read that was!

Keep the updates coming Eddie :)

Toyotec likes this.
  9. Toyotec

Thanks for the encouragement Sam :thumbup:

10. geordiegar Forum Member

Looking good Adlai, P6000's are the worst tyres I've ever had in the wet and had a spin myself so well rid! Looking forward to further optimisation.

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Superb!!!!

[1990 goes to e-bay and types 'ABF'] lol

Toyotec likes this.
  12. Toyotec

I have been 'preaching' that ABF gospel for years.

(Golf 2 + ABF + suspension + good tyres + bigger braking) * some drive talent = Lots of Fahrvernugen and win!

Develop the vehicle intelligently and you could even drive it as a daily ;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  13. Toyotec

Until that day, never paid too much attention on the road.

But out on track, with a tame racing driver telling me to be flat out round corner, I soon found out what 'plastic skates' felt like lol

As you will see soon in the next segment, this experience was very different at Brands Hatch, in the soaking wet, me alone and on Rainsports all around.

14. Toyotec

JENVEE first ABF Trackday Video Sept 9th 2013

As promised, Part 1 of in car video footage, driving JENVEE, now with the 170bhp ABF motor, in the slippery conditions at Bedford.
    These conditions were not helped by pretty near 'plastic' rear P6000 tires, that had been used before at a dry Llydden Hill with the 8v.

Racer Henry (3irthy8ight) is in the passenger seat giving driving tips.

When in doubt moment at 14:25 lol

Enjoy :thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]T2l29kpVBUM[/YOUTUBE]

ces likes this.
  15. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Haha, I don't even remember that 'if in doubt moment' - My 5 second silence just after is quite funny!

You're very receptive to instruction Eddie, a pleasure to teach! - You found a lot of time once the confidence came and you strung all the little bit of advice together! For anyone who thinks that looks like a walk in the park it certainly was a hard car to drive with those rear tyres in those conditions!

You learn a lot more about weight transfer and car control on 1 wet trackday than you do in 5 dry ones!

Toyotec likes this.
  16. Toyotec

Thanks for the tips that day, as I participated in 3 trackdays after and all in very wet conditions. The lessons learnt from weight transfer and steering angle input, were very useful, particularly in one session where I piloted an 550bhp R8 V10 plus on a very wet Stowe circuit in Sliverstone.

More videos of a wet Bedford in JENVEE to follow, once I get the time :thumbup:

17. Toyotec

3hirty8ight demonstrates how to drive a slidey JENVEE on a wet Bedford.

So after my stint out in a very wet Bedford, where I was learning to tame to active rear of JENVEE, the car was handed over to the one of the tame racing drivers that were among our group that day.

He is none other than Henry Wright or 3hirty8ight on here - Racing driver in the Golf MK2 GTI, Touch of Mojo series.

With the tyre pressures tweaked, in an attempt to increase the lack of grip from the rear, here is a video clip of him, making very careful steering movements and throttle openings, as he attempts to balance those rear P6000 ice skates and grippy Uniroyal RS2 front rubber, on a soaking wet Bedford track.

[youtube]nNLQc9rsmLs[/youtube]

Big slide and recovery at 8:32...:o. That aside, he still made great progress :thumbup:

In my next video, we experiment with different tyres to improve grip.

3hirty8ight likes this.
  18. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

What did you find was a good rear tyre pressure in the end?

19. Toyotec

We started with ~ 30psi all around and the back end was pretty lively for me.
    We later reduced the rear to 28psi, drove a few laps, then to 25psi and there was a small improvement. Still more lively than I was comfortable with and I was not happy.
    You can see, even with a highly experienced Henry at the wheel how many times he had to put in opposite lock at the speed ( sometimes not a lot) he was carrying in the corners.
    Me, I would have stacked it.
    Had it not been for that day, It would taken me a very long time to fully understand weight transfer and driving very progressively, so as not to provoke those dodgy rear tyres.

You will see what happens in my next video, when the tyres are changed.

Thanks for watching.

20. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Interesting to know you had to go as low as 25. I'm running way too much in the rear by that basis but I know every car is different. I find the rear of mine feels light and a bit like I'm driving on ice sometimes. I am running 32 psi in the rear though, I think I'll try it at 28 and see how it feels

I've got to say, yours sounds very strong and seems to pull really well. Shame you're so far away as I'd love you to have a look at mine. I'll have to make it to a cgti rolling road meet next year and see if you can work your magic

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013