2e K-jet pinking?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by turnipmuncher, Aug 6, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

500$ :o
    Sounds like a good time to market the 16v warm up reg I got sitting next too me then. ;)

2. Funky Diver Forum Member

MegaSquirt not be a less expensive option? Merely asking the question... if I ever go injected

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you could try chaning the fuel metering head for a 1.6 gti item if the 16v wur does not help, it flows a little more fuel than the 1.8 8v one and is a popular mod on the mk1s. the 16v one also flows more fuel so could be a good thing to try, the air flap bowl on the 16v is bigger too, so probably best to just swap the fuel metering head over to the old air bowl. all a case of experimentation really, but you need a wideband to see what each change is doing to your mixtures. theres an excellent post on the mk1 owners club by a member who has tried all of the above with a wideband sensor plugged in logging to a laptop. think it was paul_h or paul_c?

but before you mess about swapping stuff get the pressures checked then adjust the idle mixture. you cant know if the k-jet system is really working properly without doing the pressure testing first really

4. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Watched the videos & read threads so have a good idea on how to check the pressure. Looking out for a 16v WUR through various sources. Will back off the timing to +2 degrees & see if it helps short term so not to damage the engine.

Thanx for input dubbers

5. sjm66 Forum Member

6. turnipmuncher Forum Member

OK sourced my 16v WUR and would like some input please on installation due to the two extra connections on the unit. Research shows I must invert the 16v WUR to clear the oil cooler and connect one of the connections via a T piece to the TB / vacuum pipe area, but not exactly sure where the best installation area is.

Do I just close off the second connector? - please advise - thanx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. rubjonny

connector on the front should have a plastic cap on it, it should be open to air. side pipe just needs to get inlet vacuum from somewhere, whatever point is easiest to plumb into for you.

8. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Have seen the plastic cap on pics, but unfortunately don't have one - is there anything else I could DIY as a substitute? I assume its to prevent debris getting onto the WUR.

Thanx

9. rubjonny

it should be ok without it really, it wont be sucking anything in there its just open to atmospheric pressure. maybe a kindly person on here could send you one off a duff wur :)