2e motor

Discussion in '8-valve' started by gtidaddy, Jan 9, 2007.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

This was the statement I was refering to, Do you mean you were trying to run the 2e head with MK2 digifant injection and couldn't get is calibrated? Though you seem to be saying that the MK2 digfant system didnt work well with the PB head either, this confuses me because it works perfectly on mine [:s]

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I also make this comment at 10:08

This set up works excellent for the Wifey and could yield 40mpgs when we keep the load light. But not for me who would like near 16v performance and have some the tools to see certain measurements/functions this is not good enough.
    If you run a 2 liter motor on a 1.8 ECU calibrated for less compression your calibration will be off. Data taken from a 1.8 8v ECU shows that it runs much more spark advance at low revs/high load and at high load high revs than a higher compression motor such as a 3A lump will need. Spinning the Dizzy only shifts the whole map +/-.
    As I have no means of making map adjustments to a digifant unit I am turning to MS to address this problem and at the same time loosen-up the potential of my hardware.
    The same benefits can be had from a 2E with a PB head or any 2liter motor running the wrong the Fuel and Spark calibration.
    Saying that Audi engineers seemed to have over come this problem on the 3A as well as the 6A/ACE by running they own ignition settings in the CIS-E motronic ECU these cars come with as well as knock control. I have never studied the ignition output on this ( Audi 80 3A) and it would be interesting to see what map they had in there from data logging. Not that you would be able to transpose to a digifant without the tools to do so.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  3. rubjonny

yeah I was going by you saying that your car was pinking, mine never has... Which dizzy are you using, 2e?

4. gtidaddy New Member

thanks Toyotec. for a second there i thought i had a fluke. i measure the valve in the 2e against the3a and the pb and it all was the same.i rember when the 3a came out the head was said to be the best flowing 8valve at the time.could i see a pic of your motor?

5. gtidaddy New Member

Phil Hall there is a pipe inletin the middle of the intake can you tell me what goes to it and what it does? thanks. if you guys need any parts from the us let me know because i would love to find a connection for european parts.

6. rubjonny

that connection is for the ISV :)

7. Toyotec

Distributer is a 3A unit. Same unit as a 2E.
    I will also state that I have my own axe to grind. Years ago I had a EV 1.8 GTi. After several optimisations and a 16v warm-up regulator that car could accelrate to 60mph in 7.44secs and go on to a STD 1/4 in 15.77@91mph.
    I have had PB GTis and none could do this the best being around 60 in 7.9 secs. I thought having a 2.0 motor would bring me nearer or exceed this goal. This is what I am after but with the same user friendliness experienced by my wife as the main user.

My car does 0-60 in 7.9secs and achieves 40mpg.
    What does yours do? Want to test it? Can it better my old D plate GTi using the same test gear?

8. Toyotec

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will sort you out with a few.

9. rubjonny

All right calm down :lol:
    I'm only trying to figure out if there really is a problem with all the 2e bottom end conversions done on this forum (and also if there is something I need to do to mine!) or if there was something you had done to your engine specifically...

The difference in quarter mile times could be down to several things:
    1. Early GTIs were lighter due to less 'luxury' features
    2. The K-Jet system is very responsive, due to its mechanical operation
    3. The gearbox may have had shorter ratios
    4. Some say the cam may be slightly more aggressive? Some GTIs seem to be more equal than others, many members have reported that one GTI they owned in the past was a total flyer, with no others they have owned since being able to match it.
    5. I belive the Digifant system was optimised for smoothness & economy over performance.

Plus I'm sure there is something not quite right with my car, it does seem to go well but since I've owned it the MPG has been really poor, and to this day I've not been able to get to the bottom of it. I have changed literally everything apart from the Head, inlet manifold, FPR & fuel rail, engine loom, lift pump, tank and fuel lines. Perhaps someone is stealing it at night and ragging it around town when I'm asleap :lol:
    Problem is its the only MK2 GTI I've driven so I have nothing to compare it to!

0-60 & qtr mile times wouldn't really be fair either because my car is uber luxury spec, power steering, big bumpers, electric windows, electric mirrors, Corrado 1 touch window loom, remote central locking etc etc. It all adds up! I'm sure my car is quite a bit heavier than yours :)

10. rubjonny

This is my engine swap as it stands currently:
    [​IMG]

The breathers need work as you can see!

11. rubjonny

Oh, and I thoght the knock sensor was there so that the ECU could advance the ignition timing as far as possible, just before the engine starts to knock? Or am I missing something. I assume it much more complex than that :lol:

Edit: I should add that my engine is completly standard, including the zaust. Only performance mods are bigger injectors (for no other reason than they were cheap) and an ecu chip. The chip & injectors were only added eary december last year, to try to fix the poor mpg I've been getting (I thought my injectors may be leaking). The bottom end was installed in May!

Since its gone in I havn't heard any knocking, the engine has run well and it seems smooth. Only problem is the poor MPG. Plugs always come out looking spot on, so I think it may be a fuel leak, but I can't find any, and I rebuit my pump with a new accumulator housing, seals, bolts & lines with no change...

Edit2: And it has ALWAYs run this way, even before I did the 2.0 bottom end. I'm at my wits end with it, I really am :lol:

12. gtidaddy New Member

toyotec pm sent

13. Toyotec

No one's getting excited.
    My car is a 4 door, has all the above inclusive of Full Recardo leather interior and 4 electric windows. The engine is on a ACD g/box just like my old EV. I can give a list of the details on the other cars but would be be far too long to list on here.
    All the 5 pionts you have listed there I have taken into account plus others including fuel level, location and outside temp.
    Still would not change a power or torque curve which I possess for my combination.
    This same motor was fitted to a 2dr F plate car before. This made very little difference to the test times.
    This car as a very basic GTi had no C/L E/W ETC. Its best time on PB power was 8.0 secs.
    I have carried out the same tests to other vehicles of similar spec and nothing comes close to my old D plater.
    Lets see what happens when the MS EMS is installed and calibrated.
    Watch this space...

14. rubjonny

Must be one of those 'special' GTIs you always hear about then, I had my suspicions that these were the ones that also got the 140mph clocks... I've never found any hard evidence though.
    I guess they may have just had a really well built engine, or had just been broken in perfectly.

Or it might all be rubbish, but like I said, several MK2 owners I've spoken to have said one of the many 8vs they owned was an absolute flyer, with no way of explaining why this is :lol:

15. rubjonny

Didn't you say you lived close to Bracknell? Maybe you could have a look at mine if you don't mind, see if you can figure out why my mpg is so poor? [:$]
    I got 140 miles to 20 of petrol on my last fill [:^(]

16. Toyotec

Send me a PM. I will tell you where I at.

17. Phil. Forum Junkie

TSC always said one of his old 8v's was a flyer aswell (may have been MarkD's old car).

Personally I think my 8v has got slower in the 18mths I've owned it although that may be attributed to me just getting bored or used to what power there is.

gtidaddy> i'll pm you later to get you email address and I can send you lots of pics.

18. rubjonny

Mine did that, turned out the brand new vacuum hose I bought off ebay and fitted 6 months earlier had all gone totally pourus [:x]
    This meant the FPR wasn't getting enough vacuum to open properly and caused my fueling to lag behind the throttle.

19. Phil. Forum Junkie

Thats exactly what mine feels like if yo know what I mean. Before you struggled to take off without spinning the wheels, it used to spin up in 3rd on greasy roads but now it just feels like it is lacking the power it had before.

I have changed most of the vac lines in the car so I will have a look at it again this weekend.

cheers for the pointer jonny :)

20. rubjonny

no probs, from now on only genuine VAG vac hoses for me :)