2e2 carb problem

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by efka0811, Sep 12, 2007.

1. efka0811 New Member

Hi. Golf mk2 1.6 engine, 2e2 carb. Carburettor has problem. Sometimes it works normal, sometimes i can't even run with my car. Sometimes it doesn't idle, but next morning it start idle normal. Or i leave car with working carb, and next morning it doesn't idle. On acceleration (rpm 2500 and more) car jerks. Sometimes suddenly revolution begin to drop and car dies. I think carb is going too rich, because when engine dies, i can start engine with full thottle only. And rev on full throttle is 1000 rpm. After some time pushing gas pedal car start working normally, but doesn't idle. The next morning it idles normally. I don't know what to do, because float needle is new, carb is clean.

2. roccodan Forum Member

I dont know much about them so I cant tell you how to fix them,(even though I had one on a driver) but what i do know is they are a waste of time so IMHOP bin it and buy a webber conversion kit from euro car parts and fit that, I did it and saved LOADS of headache

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I had similar problems with mine when I first got it. it irritated me beyond belief, however what I did was replace the vacuum hoses, (they are not very expensive) and I also changed the Wax-Stat. Its an easy job to do and made all the difference to my carb. Also a healthy dose of Carb Cleaner never hurt anyone!

My first thing would be to check the vacuum hoses... these can cause all sorts of problems!!

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I think you already changed all the vacuum hoses, right? I missed one when I did mine, so double-check. The one to stub 'A' on the pull-down unit had perished and cracked on mine, way down by the nipple on the carb, presumably it failed over time because of the manifold heat. Did your pulldown unit work as it should and hold vacuum?

When you say the carb is clean, is that internally as well, or just externally?

The intermittent nature of your symptoms makes me suspect two possibilities.

1. A fault elsewhere such as an ignition component failing.

2. Some debris in the idle-fuel system, which is sometimes blocking the idle jet completely. If you can rule out No.1, try removing the mixture-adjustment fitting from the top of the carb, give that a clean if you haven't already, then unscrew the idle emulsion tube/jet beneath and inspect the jet. Maybe with a really good torch you can see down the hole into the float chamber and see if there are any particles of grit etc?

Make sure the car is in a "won't idle" state if you do this, and if there is a blockage, the offending item may come out stuck in the idle jet. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sounds like you might have 2 issues, possibly carb icing (Check this thread) and maybe a problem with the ignition system, when was the last time it was serviced?