2e2 cold starting

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by efka0811, Sep 6, 2007.

1. efka0811 New Member

Hi. Vw golf mk2, 1986 year, 1.6, 2e2 carburettor. What revolutions are normal on cold engine? Mine is 1600 rpm. When i start cold engine (especially when air temperature is 10 degrees and below) engine starts normally for first time with revolutions 2000. After few seconds revolutions drop drop drop and engine switches off. Then i start again, and everything is normal, no more cutting off. Where is problem? All carb gaskets are new, float is new, warm air hose is plugged, not blocked.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Are the vacuum hoses new?

It sounds like it may be a problem with the pulldown unit, or the vacuum hoses going to it. This is a vacuum diaphragm which opens the choke flap in two stages during the first few seconds of the cold start. On a car the age of yours, if the pulldown unit (and vacuum hoses) is original, it/they may well be leaking. On the second start, the pulldown won't have to work so hard because the electrical heater within the autochoke will have warmed up the bimetal spring making it easier to open the choke. Also, the green ball vacuum reservoir will have been partly evacuated during the first attempt.

The revs (2000, then 1600) sound very similar to what my car does in the first few seconds. Some disagree, but I consider this normal. What happens after the second start, when it keeps running? Do the revs then decrease slowly from 1600 down to 950 (over a few minutes)?

I don't understand what you mean by the warm air pipe being plugged, not blocked?

If you haven't already seen it, have a good look at the FAQ written by rubjonny at the top of this section.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  3. efka0811 New Member

I meant that warm air hose is new, working properly. All vacum hoses are new (changed 2 months ago). I am going to check pulldown unit, i am not sure if it is working properly. After second start engine runs on 1600 rev and it takes about 3 minutes (air temp +18 degress) and 5-6 minutes (air temp 0 degress) to drop till 950 rev.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds to me like you have either an issue with the coolant feed to the carb, causing the waxstat not to bring the revs down, a faulty waxstat or the 3/4 point unit isn't retracting quickly enough. A fully functional 2e2 will rev to 1600rpm breifly on a cold start, and will take at most a few seconds to come down to 900ish rpm.

On a cold start check the 3/4 point unit retracts almost straight away, if not check the 2 electrical bits on the side of the car are plugged in, and they get 12v with the ignition on. When you turn the key 1 click you should hear them both click :)

All this and more is explained in my 2e2 FAQ :)