2e2 over fueling problems

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by maccagti, Mar 18, 2013.

1. maccagti New Member

hi guys. i signed up to this forum in 2008 and this is my first post, can you believe it, probably because there are so many helpful other threads on here.

however here is my problem.

ive had nothing but problems with my 2e2 from the moment i got it. high idling, sticky waxstat, pdu, auto choke and 4 point unit incorrectly adjusted etc etc. so far ive managed to fix everything apart from this point. when i start the car up from cold in the morning, it fires on the first turn, nice high idle, drops after 5-10 seconds, probably 12-1500 rpm (until the wax stat warms up) but soon as i put it in gear, mines an auto btw, and touch the throttle, it will cut out. this will happen a few times or it will cough and splutter and slowly pull away almost dying before suddenly pulling like a train. then when it changes gear to 2nd or 3rd it will bog down and then pick up again, in 3rd especially it will bog, then kick down and accelerate off again. when the car is up to operating temp the problem is massively reduced if at all present when pulling away, but when driving and putting your foot down the hesitation/bogging down remains. ive adjusted the mixture screw as it was running a bit rich, and has only partially improved the problem, but to me it does feel like the engine is getting too much fuel. i have also adjusted the cam which acts on the accelerator pump so it doesnt squirt to much in (at idle this seems to work fine when viewing with the airbox off, obviously cannot tell when driving)

so does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

As mine is an auto, i believe that it should have a 3point unit on it (with 2 idle adjustment valves on it) however i have a 4 point unit with only 1 13mm nut on the back for adjusting the idle. could it be possible that overfueling would occur if it had had the whole carb changed for a replacement off a 1.8 manual for example? as it would have bigger jets. is it a simple task to change the jets on these if so?

finally. when stopping the car after a good drive and its up to temperature, the carb seems to flood itself, i can hear dripping, trickling fuel and took these pictures to illustrate, theyre difficult to see, only have a crappy camera phone:

before starting up:
    [​IMG]

after a run, difficult to see but at the bottom of the chamber its swimming with fuel, which gradually seeps away over time
    [​IMG]
    the square chamber was also full of smoke initially which was a bit worrying, only a bit remained when i took the pic as i blew it out the way

i know that this has been a lengthy post but i want to give as much info as possible to make it easier for those with more knowledge on the subject. im keen to get it sorted because im currently getting roughly 20mpg which is not wallet friendly, lol.

Massive thanks in advance

Cheers
    Stu