2L conversion, just the block ok?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by darrren, May 14, 2011.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yep that's the one.

Mine was an early mk2 (EV) so maybe that's wht I needed to swap it?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah the difference is with the later plate you also need the wee half moon shaped bit that goes on the bottom of the gearbox, found on later mk2 and mk3 :)

the later one is better for if you ever need the sump off, removing the little half moon plate gives you better access to the bolts :thumbup:

3. darrren Forum Member

im guessing this will all become clear when i actually look in the engine bay?? As for head bolts im going to get some tomorow so what ones do i need,ones for the mk3 gti or the mk2?? Dont want headgasket problems as soon as i start due to the wrong bolts etc.

4. rich81 Forum Member

Keep us updated on how it goes Darren. I wonder do you have power steering to swop over? I have power steering standard on my mk2 and was wondering if it will onto an AGG block, as I'm planning this conversion soon.

5. darrren Forum Member

i will do mate. Being in the army its hard to make consistent progress on it as im only ever home on weekends usually and i have other things to do but i am going to spend more time gettin this done. To be honest im not changing all the powersteering etc,im just going to stick to the mk2 stuff. The car isnt a daily driver,its going to be a summer/weekend toy which i can have the satisaction of saying i built and did the work myself,so i think the mk2 bits will be up for the milage ill be doing in it. Im going to go down the garage tomorow,try and get the block painted then im going to go and get all the bolts,gaskets and cambelt. Im a fitter by trade with my job but only around 2 years experience,im confident taking a part out and putting a new one in,but ive never stripped or converted parts,although i know how everything works. Ill also be starting a new thread with the car from start to finish so keep a look out for that.

6. rubjonny

7. darrren Forum Member

Wicked, thanks alot for that jonny,never seen them that cheap either. And those are suitable for fitting a head off a late mk2 gti (h reg) 1990 or 91,to a mk3 AGG engine? One other thing,i have some studs on the block,whats the best way to get them off without damaging the surface of the block? Surely just using a hacksaw will leave a slight protrusion.

8. darrren Forum Member

Right ive looked on VW spares, if you ocould just check these parts for me and confirm that would be great as not all the parts have AGG in with the other engine codes.

CAMBELT
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=390
    This belt doesnt have engine codes it just says its for the 2.0 8v so im guessing it fits all engine codes?

CAMBELT TENSIONER
    http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1782
    Again no engine code next to this like the tensioners for the 1.6 etc on the site,it just says 2.0 8v so again does this fit all engine codes of the 2.0 8v block?

AlTERNATOR BELT
    This is one im not sure of,im using all mk2 anicllaries,alt etc,so do i fit my mk2 pulley onto the mk3 AGG block,or keep the Mk3 pulley on there? Im not sure if i can still use the mk2 alternator belt as the block is 20mm higher so does that mean id need a longer belt which would be the mk3 one?

Sorry about all the questions,but i think this covers alot of stuff for future forum users who need the be spoon fed like myself on how to do it lol. I just want to get it right and everyones been a great help.

9. rubjonny

head bolts, cambelt and tensioner are fine, belts you need to fit everything off the mk2 and use the std mk2 belts. id strongly recommend you use the mk3 stuff if you can its better.