2L kr, possible?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by skint_golfer, Dec 24, 2008.

1. swaffGTI Forum Member

It was July 06 the issue it came from,

any pics would be appreciated as I may have to show/explain this to my local engineering firm

Skint, as far as bore size I think the abf and 9a etc had the same bore of 82.5mm, it was the rod angle and block height that changed

only problem you have is that the gudgeon pins are different sizes between abf and 9a as in this thread here,
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=175123&highlight=abf+bore

the reference centre that is Hotgolf states getting 144mm rods bored out from 20mm to
    21mm, so it may be more hassle than its worth

Does the passat in your local scrappy not have a 2-litre 9a, or are you sure its a abf?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It'll take you ages to find a pic, but there are a few pics I've seen on the vortex - basically you narrow the gear to about half it's width.

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Narrow it to 5.5mm aparently - couldn't find a pic though in that time, and I'm too lazy to search any further...

4. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

5. swaffGTI Forum Member

Doesn't sound like a nice day out, maybe get the car turned to get the arb out then while you under it strip the engine internals,

just take a large tool box with you and hide them in that maybe?

Either that or keep your eye on the classifieds on the forums,

there's always a 9a going, look up Dom DT on edition 38. He has a 9a for sale?

6. skint_golfer

had the car turned and got the arb, cable change shifter then flipped it back over and got the cluch+gear box mc's, pedal box, all the pipework, the drop links, all the engine sensors and wiring, earth straps, spedo drive and a fair bit more too :thumbup:

best bit is over the 2 days I spent taking bits off it only cost 60 [:D] :thumbup:

as for just poping the pistons and crank etc in my tool box I did think about it but as I got searched on the way out today by the owners c**k of a son its probably a good job I didn't [8(]

thanks for the tip on the 9a, I'll take a look for him. cheers.

if any one else wants bits from that passat its at smiths scrap yard in bloxham between banbury and oxford

7. skint_golfer

just been rooting round in the garrage putting up shelves and chucking out old tat and i found a box with all the internals of my spare kr in it, another with the internals of my ady in it and a third with my throttle bodies that I thought I'd lost!

all is looking good for a dry build and worst case I need pistons to complete my parts list. I'd prefer to buy another 2l block for the internals as the ady parts (and my complete abf) are earmarked already but at a push could be replaced later.

mk3 16v gearbox anyone?????????

8. H2Zero Forum Member

do give updates as I have opened up my KR and would love to go your mod.

9. TrackCab16v Forum Member

when i get a clear moment ,i will dig out the re 2ooo engine and hav a closer look.i bought it needing a rebuild,i then sripped it quickly, but i was hoping ther might hav been a steel crank inside, but ther wasn,t. just a standard vw 2.ol one. [:^(]

10. H2Zero Forum Member

but isn't there a 2.0l short block - 9A??

11. davidwort Forum Member

I used to have a TSR 2L conversion from a KR block, the block itself was scrapped a year ago but I still have the internals, unfortunately the gear on the int shaft was badly worn (I don't know if this is partly due to it being machined down to fit the 2L), the teeth were really sharp and pointed on the gear [:s]
    Now this block had a machining problem or something when it was bored and one of the pistons got bad scoring marks down it, also scoring the bore of the block - hence why it was skipped, but the crank seemed fine so I kept it.
    If anyone wants it, it's a 2L balanced crank from TSR(you can see the balancing machining marks) with less than 10K miles on it from new (I kept all the shells with it too.), no use to me now as I have a new 6A block from VW which I wasn't prepared to take apart just to swap the cranks. - Enough for a couple of pints would suffice. :)

12. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, 9A is correct. 9A and ABF have same stroke/bore, only the rods and block are different in length.

13. nealey Forum Junkie

14. H2Zero Forum Member

cheers....

Updated 13.02.09

The swap/conversion is complete, drove it for the first time Wednesday. Can't tell you what the difference as I am trying to run the engine in. Really appreciate those who have contributed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009