2ltr FSi in the race Polo

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by coupechamp, Aug 20, 2011.

1. coupechamp Forum Member

just throwing this open for opinions, some of you know i currently run a Polo in the VW Cup which runs a N/A 2ltr engine (209bhp), but i've never been happy with it, there have been a number of issues (which can be read elsewhere here) and having had my feet warmed up at Silverstone last season when it went bang, it's been sitting there doing nothing for this season. The spare engine was built up which included JE Pistons, but at the moment i still not convinced. But now we have a different problem to solve, as the car now runs with a facelift it in theory goes from upto 2005 to now going to 2009. our rules (sort of) say that i can use an engine upto 2009. I am currently talking with our main scrutineer guy about what i can cant use, but i asked the question of weather i could run the 2ltr FSi unit. I have even asked if i could throw an Ed 30 engine in, and in theory as long as it was an 07 code i could. I wanted to keep it simple though so thought that avoiding the turbo issues would help, hence the FSi side of things. So.......pro's and con's etc. The main issue i always had was excellerating out of corners, it never helped with the old engine being capped at 6200rpm especially considering they run the same engine in the South Africa'n race Polo's currently turned down to 7200rpm for reliability. Anyway boys and girls, thoughts on a postcard [:D]

2. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I've just acquired an FSi head for my race car. I'm at 217bhp on a DX head with 2.0ltr bottom end at the moment and whilst there are a few more mods but about 225>230bhp seems to be the max for this head and to be really competitive nationally I need over 260bhp+ so needs must [:^(]

I need to keep the block as the car was made due to the regs in hillclimbing/sprinting which makes it a bit more complicated but not that much really when you start looking at it. From the info I've ammased so far these heads can produce over 320bhp when built correctly. The problem with that sort of power is block, crank etc really need to be bespoke. I'm working on a very tight budget so the bottom end needs to be based on stock VW parts as much as possible. I've got some steel rods as the revs will be out side of what stock VW rods can take but otherwise I intend to use VW components (obviously pistons etc will be bespoke). I'm aiming at around 295>300bhp and reckon as it only runs for a few minutes each time it will hold together without too many special parts.

The top end is where the money needs to be spent but I'm still looking at that, but talking to HPR it seems that the inlet side is where the money needs to be spent, the exhaust side will look after it's self to some extent.

The lifters look like they will be the tricky bit. They need to be solid, shimmed to match the valves but I've also seen other mods to make them work, which look very bespoke. Not sure why but there must be a reason. Again as the engine only runs for short periods may not be an issue but building it and trying is an expensive way to find out [:s]

I've been lucky with the 8v and achieved pretty much what I thought we would but that said I've done a huge amount of research before building it. I will do the same with the FSi engine, the problem is there are far fewer of these motors (especially with the older bottom end) out there so a little more risky).

So I reckon FSi heads are the way forward but do a lot of research before spending your money. Will put some info up here when I get somewhere but it's going to take at least a year to build it just due to funding really. Look forward to seeing what you do :thumbup:.

3. coupechamp Forum Member

nice one TonyB :thumbup: our rules are a bit more restrictive i.e rods can be lightened to the lightest one but must remain standard, you can mess about with internales etc, but basically VAG parts. I need to keep it as standard and easy as possible and bearing in mind 'most' of the current cars out there (mk5 golf's) etc run standard engines but re-mapped with and exhaust, they are around the 250/260bhp mark and run turbo's. The easy option is to chuck a 1.8T in there, but having driven VWR's race Polo as well as driven against it i wasn't impressed, it never got away from mine (only slightly on acceleration) but it wasn't that quick seeing as it had more power than mine. If i could get (slightly) more power than me but be able to use it better then i think it would do a good job. Maybe lack of turbo will not help, but mine was good once it was up and running,still bearing in mind my 6.200 rev limit which never helped!! Interesting in what your saying and going to be good to see which way it all goes, but keep us posted. :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011