3.2 bottom end on a 12v head?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Lennard, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I was wondering, would a 3.2 block fit a 12v head from a 2.9 engine since the crank, big ends are rattling like a ******* and I would prefer a 3.2 block rather than boring out the 2.9 to 3.1L with 85mm pistons assuming the crank isn't irreparable.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question, I only ask as I know the R32 sump fits the 12v engines so i'm assuming they have similarities.

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

3. nealey Forum Junkie

Powernut would be the one to ask, think he has messed around with the various different blocks, heads etc

4. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Could you elaborate on the reason(s) why, so I don't have to bother powernut (thanks nealy).

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

24v heads font fit 12v blocks, the head bolt holes don't line up.

Plenty of 3.2 24v motors around and they're not hard to fit or get running in earlier cars. The 24v head is a lot better that a 12v and it's s true DOHC unlike the 12v (which is actually a twin SOHC engine.

6. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Yeah I was of that opinion re the 24 head, has anyone here got a relevant r32 build thread or similar?

I'm most interested to see how people implement the chassis leg engine mount

7. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Yeah I was of that opinion re the 24 head, has anyone here got a relevant r32 build thread or similar?

I'm most interested to see how people implement the chassis leg engine mount

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

chassis leg mount?Sure you can bolt the 12v mount onto the 3.2 block and have it on a mk3 subframe?

9. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

No, from what i've read subsequently to this thread the mounts are in different places, there on the two sides (pulley side and gearbox side) then one more mount on the at the back of the gearbox.

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Vr6 mount bolts straight onto the back of the 24v, both the 2.8 and the 3.2 have the holes already. If you use the vr6 flywheel, clutch and gearbox you can use the vr6 front and rear mounts too.

You just need a spacer sleeve on one if the front bolts as there's no lug on the 24v block.

Only if you're using the 02m do you need to alter engine mounts. Never been keen on the idea of having a mount on the front, back but then one on the chassis leg. It'd twist awkwardly under acceleration.

11. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  12. powernut Forum Member

13. Lukey Forum Member

No they arent, they are still twin SOHC

14. powernut Forum Member

just compair head gaskets , between differnert v6 /12/24v engines as theres a few few differnces , ie , bore size,(r32 ) fsi/head bolts , lengh and therd sizes ,
    easyer just either stick with a 12v or fit a 24v 2.8 or r32